Identity theft

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
My Dad did a 192.com against his address and found four additional names listed as.living there. Time to panic?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• SimonAH wrote:
    My Dad did a 192.com against his address and found four additional names listed as.living there. Time to panic?

Depends, how long has he lived there?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Nearly forty years....
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Time to start asking for rent I guess.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I must be running a gang as 192.com has up to 11 people at my address. I think it probably just means that 192.com is a crock of worthless shite :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    112 apparently.

Err?
  • rolf_f
    112 apparently.

Err?

You runnin' ho's?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Got a new iPhone, went to synch it with iTunes, had a very old e-mail for it and wanted to use the one I have been using for last few year, found that someone had registered on iTunes usuing it! Very strange. Obviously any e-mail they would have got would have gone to me.

Had to hack into their account, reset user name and password, then go into my own one and change user name to my now available one. Job done.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    edited November 2011
    Talking of hacking, I found out last week that someones has been using my router for internet access. I'm not a big user in terms of streaming stuff etc., my ISP wrote to me telling me I was over my 40Gb limit for the 3rd month in a row and would start charging me an extra £5 from next month for an extra usage 'bolt on'.

Looked at my usage and it was about 6Gb a day. Changed my WEP security to WAP-Personal, changed router password and then added Mac address access. Usage from the day I changed it averages between 0.1 and 0.2 Gb per day. Glad my ISP wrote to me.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That's not hacking, that's straight theft.

You gonna go round the neighbours and have a word?
  • That's not hacking, that's straight theft.

I have numerous neighbours, can't imagine how I would indentify who it was. I have trouble getting a signal from my garage at the bottom of the garden so they must be pretty close.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Do you have a teenage son, and does he lock himself in his bedroom a lot?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Got a new iPhone, went to synch it with iTunes, had a very old e-mail for it and wanted to use the one I have been using for last few year, found that someone had registered on iTunes usuing it! Very strange. Obviously any e-mail they would have got would have gone to me.

Had to hack into their account, reset user name and password, then go into my own one and change user name to my now available one. Job done.

You hacked into their account? Email or iTunes? Intriguing at the high level, but you've lost me a bit. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Ben6899 wrote:
    You hacked into their account? Email or iTunes? Intriguing at the high level, but you've lost me a bit. :)

Given it would send the password reset option to his email account it's not really hacking.

Did they have a CC attached to the account that would have been intresting?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Torvid

I have numerous neighbours, can't imagine how I would indentify who it was. I have trouble getting a signal from my garage at the bottom of the garden so they must be pretty close.

Check to see if your router still has theer MAC stored (won't help you but could help later on if they have been doing anything untoward on your line)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Talking of hacking, I found out last week that someones has been using my router for internet access. I'm not a big user in terms of streaming stuff etc., my ISP wrote to me telling me I was over my 40Gb limit for the 3rd month in a row and would start charging me an extra £5 from next month for an extra usage 'bolt on'.

Looked at my usage and it was about 6Gb a day. Changed my WEP security to WAP-Personal, changed router password and then added Mac address access. Usage from the day I changed it averages between 0.1 and 0.2 Gb per day. Glad my ISP wrote to me.

Ooohhh shame you closed it down, could have had some fun with that.... :twisted:
  • Torvid wrote:

Check to see if your router still has theer MAC stored (won't help you but could help later on if they have been doing anything untoward on your line)

I done a hard reset of the router as part of the new set up process so that would have been lost. I guess if I did have an issue I have records of the dialogue between my ISP and me (or I), better than nothing. Would love to know who it was though, tossers.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you have download limits?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Torvid wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Given it would send the password reset option to his email account it's not really hacking.

Did they have a CC attached to the account that would have been intresting?

iTunes... yes they had a CC attached, but all the numbers were blanked out, would have needed the CVV number and then it would have only downloaded to the other users iTunes. Being an honers person, I had no interest in trying to compromise someone's card. Just wanted my e-mail address!! As Torvid says it sent reset password to me.... Don't think they were trying to do something untoward, it was just a little strange....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Torvid
    nicklouse wrote:
    you have download limits?

Most 'unlimited' plans have a soft cap in them you need to read the small print on alot of them, I think BT is one of the worst for it.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

Missed an opportunity:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I rather like Mitchell & Webb's take on identity theaft!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9ptA3Ya9E

Graham. :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Do you need to buy credits for that 192.com. I wanted to check my house but I'm not paying for something I'll use once.
  • rolf_f
    suzyb wrote:
    Do you need to buy credits for that 192.com. I wanted to check my house but I'm not paying for something I'll use once.

Put your address in and it gives (random) numbers of occupants without a charge - but you need to pay to find out who your guests are!

I doubt it is worth paying for.......