How To Ruin Your Weekend

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
1/ Decide your PC could do with a bit of maintenance.

2/ Open CC Cleaner and tidy the registery.

3/ Decide to permenantly erase all deleted files.

4/ Don't really concentrate as you click the various buttons that pop up.

5/ Leave the computer doing it's thing while you pop out for the afternoon.

6/ Come back to find you've erased EVERYTHING on your hard drive.

7/ Spend the best part of two days re-installing everything you've got, and deeply regret not backing up as regularly as you should.

Just sayin', that's all :cry::cry::cry:

Comments

• look on the brightside - now you can go to the girls in lycra thread and start downloading again from page 1 :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    1/ Decide your PC could do with a bit of maintenance.

2/ Open CC Cleaner and tidy the registery.

3/ Decide to permenantly erase all deleted files.

4/ Don't really concentrate as you click the various buttons that pop up.

5/ Leave the computer doing it's thing while you pop out for the afternoon.

6/ Come back to find you've erased EVERYTHING on your hard drive.

7/ Spend the best part of two days re-installing everything you've got, and deeply regret not backing up as regularly as you should.

Just sayin', that's all :cry::cry::cry:

You might have wanted to check out:
    http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

Before you started reinstalling, a delete rarley actually deletes the data from the drive, just marks the space as usable.
    Bit late for you likes...
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not doubting your angst, but I've never had CC do anything other than do its tidy-up bit and leave everything hunky-dory. Is there new option now labelled 'Go on - delete everything. All Of it'?

Linux. That's your answer. :wink:
  • Smokin Joe
    CiB wrote:
    Not doubting your angst, but I've never had CC do anything other than do its tidy-up bit and leave everything hunky-dory. Is there new option now labelled 'Go on - delete everything. All Of it'?

Linux. That's your answer. :wink:
    There are two check boxes, wipe free space and wipe disc.

Guess which I clicked?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I use an app called GetDataBack for recovering zapped HDDs. Can even recover files spread across RAID arrays. Been a few years since I used it though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Ah, CC does Zero writing.
    You're only meant to use that to destroy data so someone can't use undelete to find the pictures of your wife...
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The moral of this story, of course, is never to maintain one's PC. It never helps. At some point you always end up reinstalling the sodding operating system, and then once you've reinstalled all your apps the bloody thing turns out to be just as slow as it was before anyway!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Smokin Joe
    DesWeller wrote:
    The moral of this story, of course, is never to maintain one's PC. It never helps. At some point you always end up reinstalling the sodding operating system, and then once you've reinstalled all your apps the bloody thing turns out to be just as slow as it was before anyway!
    You're dead right, and I've been there/done that enough times in the past to know better :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    You're dead right, and I've been there/done that enough times in the past to know better :(

Too true!

In a life balance perspective life is too short. N+1 ? :wink:

Seriously though - For those of you who don't, you really should back up on a very regular basis.
    It could save a lot of time, possibly some money and some things (photos etc) are irreplacable if truly lost.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.