wales . north to south

bobs bikes
bobs bikes Posts: 589
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
hi, im looking for routes from holyhead to cardiff.
has anyone done this?
how far and how long etc.

thanks.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Sustrans has a well-established route called Lôn Las Cymru which runs between Cardiff/Chepstow and Holyhead, roughly 250 (hilly!) miles. Maps are readily available and the route is well signposted. I did it south to north, Chepstow to Holyhead, and really loved it. I took five leisurely days. I travelled light and stayed in B&Bs. it was great.
  • nwns88
    nwns88 Posts: 107
    I did it North to South two years ago in July. We had intended to follow the sustrans route and take two days on road bikes, staying at Rhayder overnight. Being July the weather was torrential rain, so after getting into Snowdonia on B-roads (some of which were very steep) we saw the gentle gradient of the A470 snaking into the distance and made an executive decision to ditch the scenic route and follow the A road.

To be fair it was pretty empty and easy cycling until we hit the dual carriageway bits. It got a bit busy, but we just stuck with it, getting off just before Cardiff (you can't cycle the lats bit).

It could have been done in a day on this route - albeit a long summer day.

Probably not the sort of route you are looking for, but if you want to do it fast then this is the route for you.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've no doubt you can do it in a day or two on the A roads if that is what you want to do, but for me the whole point of Wales is the scenery - it's stunning and though it is a hard slog, best seen on the crooked hilly lanes and back roads.
  • brill, thanks guys.
    the route i am looking for is a quiet one, as this will form part of a bigger challenge. the sustrans route should work.

ill keep you informed of my findings!
    thanks again.
  • bobs bikes wrote:
    brill, thanks guys.
    the route i am looking for is a quiet one, as this will form part of a bigger challenge. the sustrans route should work.

ill keep you informed of my findings!
    thanks again.

Like Hopdtiver says, there's an established low traffic route; Lon Las Cymru.

I've cycled it and loved it. It's scenic.

If you get onto the Sustrans web site smartish you can get the maps for half price until Monday next week.