A non bike related dog problem.

fatbabyjake
fatbabyjake Posts: 24
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
How can i stop a dog crapping in my non fenced front garden?

It never happens when i'm home, so i don't know which dog it is.

It's not really the dog's fault so i'm not wanting to hurt in any way. Just something to keep out the garden until i find it's ignorant tw@t of an owner.

Feel free to suggest ways for me to hurt the owner though.
You shall not pass! (Unless I'm knackered then I don't really care tbh)

Specialized Hardrock Sport 06
Specialized Sirrus Sport 11

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Cheap video camera - you can get a Muvi rip on eBay for a tenner. Either put the frame rate down on it or there will be something simillar that records to a HDD - webcam maybe with movement sensor?

Get the evidence then go find the owner..
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Cheap video camera - you can get a Muvi rip on eBay for a tenner. Either put the frame rate down on it or there will be something simillar that records to a HDD - webcam maybe with movement sensor?

Get the evidence then go find the owner..

I'm thinking along those lines too. Some of the houses in the street are rented out by a housing association so if I can get proof I can complain to them before taking matters into my own hands.

I don't want to go to the expense of putting up a fence and besides the fecker shouldn't be doing it in the first place. If I can catch it in the act I could use a super soaker type water pistol to try and scare it off.
    You shall not pass! (Unless I'm knackered then I don't really care tbh)

Specialized Hardrock Sport 06
    Specialized Sirrus Sport 11
  • Super soaker filled with a water/vinegar mix sorted my similar problem. Tad cheaper than CCTV too...
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Shotgun?

Joking of course. Had a similar issue and staked out the back drive for an hour a day over the likely timeslots. Caught the b*stard on day three and told him that it was fine to let his dog lay eggs all over where I park and get in and out of my car as long as he didn't mind me collecting them up and posting them through his door every evening.

Stopped immediately.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    We have a fox that does this, and in the back garden. It once neatly laid a turd on the handle of my 2 year old daughter's watering can. I wonder if hunting with dogs could be reintroduced in a suburban setting - perhaps with bikes instead of horses. We also have a local stray that occasionally uses the pavement just outside our front gate as a toilet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Have a mate that used to always metioned the smell of pi55 as he entered my house.... cheeky begger got slagged off by me and I got angry as I run a clean ship. Until my neighbor told me a few days later he had watched a cat pee on my front door mat for the last few days.

Removed mat, it stopped. Saved me wiring it up....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I've never really known a dog do it's business repeatedly in the same place unless trained to do so ?
    There's 2 products I know of, haven't tried either so don't know how effective they are.
    Sonic Repeller:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Sonic-Repe ... B0012KLCL8

AND
    Scatter Crystals:
    http://www.petsathome.com/shop/get-off- ... apet-15442

Hope this helps
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    My boss was looking at legal crossbows to deal with his fox problem.
  • rjsterry
    Have a mate that used to always metioned the smell of pi55 as he entered my house.... cheeky begger got slagged off by me and I got angry as I run a clean ship. Until my neighbor told me a few days later he had watched a cat pee on my front door mat for the last few days.

Removed mat, it stopped. Saved me wiring it up....

Had this too. Absolutely reeks. Like the crossbow idea*, but then you've got to dispose of them, and I'm pretty sure dead fox smells even worse than fox sh!t.

*Not really
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    rjsterry wrote:
    We have a fox that does this, and in the back garden. It once neatly laid a turd on the handle of my 2 year old daughter's watering can. I wonder if hunting with dogs could be reintroduced in a suburban setting - perhaps with bikes instead of horses. We also have a local stray that occasionally uses the pavement just outside our front gate as a toilet.

Living in Bow (Tower Hamlets) and foxes were using my very small patch of grass as a toilet ( :evil: ), so I rang up pest control @ LBTH and asked them to sort it as my new child was undoubtedly going to be playing out there and it was severely un-hygenic. They said they couldn't and referred me to a "Fox Helpline" which gave out "humane" advice... So I asked him can I shoot them and was told "NO WAY!", so being a bit hacked off I said that it was legal for me to ring up the Essex Hunt and get them to ride down Roman Road chasing the foxes*. The sounds of apoplexy as he considered this down the end of the phone was beautiful to behold :D

* It was legal still in them days..
  • rjsterry
    Pufftmw wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Living in Bow (Tower Hamlets) and foxes were using my very small patch of grass as a toilet ( :evil: ), so I rang up pest control @ LBTH and asked them to sort it as my new child was undoubtedly going to be playing out there and it was severely un-hygenic. They said they couldn't and referred me to a "Fox Helpline" which gave out "humane" advice... So I asked him can I shoot them and was told "NO WAY!", so being a bit hacked off I said that it was legal for me to ring up the Essex Hunt and get them to ride down Roman Road chasing the foxes*. The sounds of apoplexy as he considered this down the end of the phone was beautiful to behold :D

* It was legal still in them days..

Depends what you mean by humane - a captive bolt is considered humane. A bit tricky to use on a fox though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've got a speargun you can borrow :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Crossbows are legal but hunting with them isn't. Anyway it would be difficult to guarantee a clean kill and he wouldn't want it running about with a bolt sticking out of it and him being the only the one in the neighbourhood with a crossbow.
    There are pest controllers who will take the job on though. Or there are repellents according to Mr. Google.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142

Snares & a .22 dealt with my fox problem. For OP, surveillance is the best way.