Tyres for a muddy winter

eebygum
eebygum Posts: 49
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

What sets/combos would you recommend to get the most grip for muddy trail riding?

cheers

Comments

• Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    There are a lot of threads on this subject already but if the search function is still down then....

But Bontrager Mud X's all the way for the Peak District.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Looking at your bike I'd go for the Mud X or Dirty Dan.

I'v got the Maxxis Swampthings because I like a bigger tyre.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    +1 Mub X. £38.99 for a pair from Triton Cycles
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • couple of guys i ride with use the michelin mud tyre, tenner a pop iirc. load of grip in the slop!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Kevyb
    Kevyb Posts: 56
    Nobby nic, great tyres for all the mud at Malvern hills and Clent hills
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Nobby Nics are OK for the occasional bit of mud, but when it's blanket mud then I have a 2.0 Mud X on the back and a 2.1 Trailracker on the front.

The Trailracker is a narrow tread for its size.

The Mud X is less draggy and gives plenty of traction, the Trailracker has more drag but better traction on corners and when riding across a slope.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • + 1 for the Dirty Dans, they were one sale for £40 pair.
    Don't worry about rain - skin is waterproof
  • Have used Mud X's for the first time this winter and I'm really impressed! Good grip in the slop but also pretty good when riding drier trails, a good all rounder as far as I can tell. Only been riding them since the end of September though.
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Depends on what flavour of mud and what you want to do in it.

I swear by swampthings- they're draggy but they stick reasonably well on anything and they're consistent. I swear at Mud Xs- they're great in mud but so inconsistent on other stuff, I'd sooner just keep a regular knobbly on the front and trade off a bit of mud traction for the far better performance on everything else. Great rear tyre though for properly muddy XC.

For heavy duty use I just got a Hillbilly, now this thing's fantastic. But slow, and heavy like anvil. But it grips like mad in mud, and also works brilliantly on drier stuff. But I didn't enjoy dragging it round glentress red much!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I've got a 2.35" Maxxis Minion on the front and a 2.1" Maxxis Swampthing on the back. Managed to get two brand new but discontinued 2.1's from an ebay seller for £7.50each (they only do 2.35 and 2.50 now) The thinner 2.1 cuts through the gloop and finds the ground underneath. As Northwind said above they are draggy but the grip is great. Works for me anyway. Happy trails..
    It's better to burn out than to fade away!!
  • Slight hijack here but... I had a disaster at the Forest of Dean a few weeks ago, so I've been trying to choose tyres for my next visit. I've bought a Swampthing which I'm gonna put on the front and was gonna put an Advantage on the back. Reading this and remembering how muddy it was, should I be be putting a full on mud tyre on the back too, or will my advantage be ok??? When I went last, I had a Crossmark on the back :oops: