England to Italy

wobble1980
wobble1980 Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a ride from Stoke-on-Trent to Garda (Italy) in September next year. In the very early stages of plans. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated- particularly crossing the Alps/Dolomites. Any advice on which books to buy would be great too.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    If yoy're going to the Lago di Garda you might well want to consider the Via Claudia Augusta which runs through Austria to the Reisen Pass then follows the Adige river down to Bolzano where there's a signed route to the Lago di Garda. The Lonely Planet Cycling in Italy book might be worth getting.
  • Many thanks for the reply. I have just recieved the lonely planet cycling Italy as a present so thumbing through it with interest. Also purchased a Michelin road map of Europe which looks like it might have enough detail to plan the route. Im going to cross to Dunkerque so I can ride through Belguim, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Liechtenstien, Austria and through to Italy. Read with interest a previous post "Novice riding round Europe". If anyone has any advice on route in general it would be gratefully recieved.
  • are you looking for company? see my recent post. im departing the same time, same direction, so would be great to travel togther at least for some of the way.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    My own route to Leitchenstein was Ostende Brugges Gent Brusseels Dinant in the ardeenes Mosel Wine area of Germany.Trier instead of Luxembourg ... Strabsborurg FreiBurg Black Forest. Basel. Vaduz..Belgium was an unexpected pleasure to cycle through with Gothic buildings in cobbly streeted Gent,+ Rock churches and unexpected little tough hills in the Ardennes...Only small disappointment was the Black Forest Foliage was a bit dense and a lot of climbing through thick forest which blocked the view.so some best route .best view point planning needed there.
    jc
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I think iPete (frequents the Commuting Chat section) did London to Rome a little while back, he might be worth a try.
  • Many thanks for the info folks. nspire- had a look at your web, looks interesting what you have planned. I want to plan my ride independently as I am doing it for charity but it would good if our paths crossed at some point. Notsoblue I`ll have a look at iPete to see if he has any advice. Thanks again.
  • wobble1980 wrote:
    Many thanks for the info folks. nspire- had a look at your web, looks interesting what you have planned. I want to plan my ride independently as I am doing it for charity but it would good if our paths crossed at some point. Notsoblue I`ll have a look at iPete to see if he has any advice. Thanks again.
    Thanks Wobble1980. I'll look you up closer to the time to see how your trip is going.