Sports direct cycle stuffs......

MRLEON83
MRLEON83 Posts: 42
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone tried the cycle clothing from sports direct ?.... namely the bibs they have... I have some karimor padded shorts that are ok....

does anyone know of any other bargain cycle wear ? .....

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The karrimor cycling tee is OK for £8.99, which is probably what it is worth.

Nothing special but dayglo-orange, non-coton, and with rear pockets.
  • shorts and tops are ideal for commuting. Jackets are boil in the bag. Think they are starting to brand some of their kit muddy fox rather than karrimor but probably all comes from the same factory. If I was out for a day ride or a sportive I'd wear better quality, but more expensive kit.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • MRLEON83 wrote:
    Has anyone tried the cycle clothing from sports direct ?.... namely the bibs they have... I have some karimor padded shorts that are ok....

does anyone know of any other bargain cycle wear ? .....

Aldi do a 6 monthly splurge that is always worth a look, esp the softshells, Decathlon also do stuff which is better quality than the price point would suggest.
  • I got a couple of pairs of Karrimor full-length cycling tights last year. They were as rubbish as they were cheap, and large was sized for midgets. Still, I got a pint sized mug into the false-bargain, and I still keep my toothbrushes in it...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...] Still, I got a pint sized mug into the false-bargain, and I still keep my toothbrushes in it...
    Your delivery guy obviously not like the mouth-breathing knuckleheads we have down here; 2 deliveries and 2 x 500-piece jigsaws formerly known as SD mugs enclosed with the orders :roll:
  • I've got a pair of Muddy fox bib tights - pretty decent for £25!

I am always in the hunt for bargains :)
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I bought some of these Muddy Fox bib tights in my normal size, small

I send them back to get a medium because the small was too small.

I send the medium back to get a large because the medium was too small.

The large still feels tight but no way am I buying anything in extra large! I'm 5ft 6 and pretty slim . . . well at least I thought I was until I started shopping at Sports Direct.

The tights are a bit cr4p but they'll do for dirty winter rides
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought a Muddy Fox jacket a month or so ago, it was supposed to be breathable but is most definitely boil in the bag and the arms are too short, although the body length is decent. It was cheap and fine for the commute but I wouldn't use it on longer rides
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    DrLex wrote:
    [...] Still, I got a pint sized mug into the false-bargain, and I still keep my toothbrushes in it...
    Your delivery guy obviously not like the mouth-breathing knuckleheads we have down here; 2 deliveries and 2 x 500-piece jigsaws formerly known as SD mugs enclosed with the orders :roll:

I got given an SD mug which I love utterly, it's perfect for my mahoosive evening and breakfast cups of tea (my only caffeine fixes)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I thought Sports Direct mugs were what you called season ticket holders at St. James' Park :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • iv got the muddyfox bib tights and they are great. they need a bit of a stretch before wearing tho, they are a bit small. they were £16. bargain

Ive also got the the cycling glasses. got them for £7.99 and they are an absolute bargain. 4 different lenses. and decent quality.

havnt tried anything else, but im tempted by the muddy fox jerseys. £9 seems ok.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I bought a Muddy Fox jacket a month or so ago, it was supposed to be breathable but is most definitely boil in the bag and the arms are too short, although the body length is decent. It was cheap and fine for the commute but I wouldn't use it on longer rides

Pertex windshells are the way forward.

I have one and an eVent jacket. The windshell is far more breathable than the eVent, which is still one of the most breathable membrane waterproofs*. It also means I only wear the waterproof in moderate rain or heavier, which helps my expensive jacket last longer.

*paramo is too hot for me on the bike but works well otherwise...
  • richVSrich wrote:
    I've got a pair of Muddy fox bib tights - pretty decent for £25!

I am always in the hunt for bargains :)

should have clarified these were the "elite" series ...

and i always check the size guide - this generally helps as clothing manufacturers can have a pretty big difference in sizing (Tenn Outdoor is massive btw...)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The shoes however are a total joke. Had a look at the Muddy Fox branded road shoes in the Cardiff shop the other day and you'd get more sole stiffness from a pair of espadrilles. This is not an exaggeration.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.