Sram/Shimano Compatibility

phil_pompey
phil_pompey Posts: 153
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guy's

Can you tell me if I can run a Sram PC951 Chain on a Shimano cassette without affecting the quality of gear change. The rest of the groupset is SLX/Deore mix all parts brand new.

Reason I ask is that I don't know weather to get a Sram PG950 Cassette or a Shimano Deore cassette.

Your thoughts please.....

Thanks,

Phil
Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have i in the past had shimano cassette and a sram chain without any issues...

i also have shimano cassette and rear mech with a kmc chain....
  • if your changing your cassette ythen chances are your chain will need doing too?? if you change the chain just before .75 stretch you can normally run 3 chains a cassette,
    a cheap and easy way to check a chain if you dont have a chain checker (£5-10 from most places) is to place a ruler ideally ametal one) under the chain with the start level with the middle of a pin, count 12 links down the chain and see how close to 12" the pin is!

if your getting a new chain too then go KMC over Shimano or Sram, much stronger and generally better!!
    i run a kmc chain on sram cassette with shimano rear mech (shimano rear mechs are cheaper for the better models, the Sram pg990 is Far more blingy than the Xt one and KMC make Blingy chains and for a Bike tart That is of Upmost importance!! 8) 8) 8) :D ), the only times you cant use Sram and Shimano is when your talking shifters and rear mech's, modern front mechs can be used with either but rear mechs are Sram/Sram or Shimano/Shimano.
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sram on shimano cassette should be fine so long as it's the right speed chain for the cassette.

I stick with Sram for the powerlink stuff myself. KMC offer similar I believe and are supposedly more durable so may look at them next, especially for 10 speed where Sram/Shimano are apparently a bit weaker (and Sram 10 speed powerlinks aren't reusable, though KMC links can be used on Sram).

And yeah, if the cassette is worn, then probably the chain is too (very worn likely). If you're just upgrading the cassette then that's another matter.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Makes no difference except KMC are better.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for replys guys, Just ordered the Sram PG970 for the same price as the PG950 :) Which means i now have all the parts I need to start te build. I'm gonna be a busy boy over the next few days :)
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707