Ribble winter bike

Tony1976
Tony1976 Posts: 70
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Morning all,

I have just ordered a winter bike from Ribble with Tiagra groupset as that was pretty much my budget limit, currently waiting for delivery but i must admit i am very excited by it all!!!

Also got myself some winter clothing as i am determined to get out and get this extra weight i am carrying off for next year, not decided on any goals as yet as to what i want to be able to ride but hopefully if i stick to it i will be fit enough to look at the Manchester to Blackpool later in the year, might seem a long way off but i do have a lot of weight to shift.

Problem is i received all the new clothing yesterday and i put it on to see what it looked like and i cant escape the fact that i do look a right pudding in it!!! :oops: Once i have been out i will no doubt see the reason for wearing it for comfort and warmth etc

Anyway just thought i would share this with you and say Hi and all that as you all seem nice folk on here

Cheers

Tony

Comments

• lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    Good on ya, Tony.

Tiagra is perfectly good kit and seems far more reliable than the more expensive, lighter options.

I think most people are self-conscious to begin with, especially if they know they want to lose weight and get into a better shape, but go out and enjoy the ride for yourself. We all see people who don't look as good as they'd like, but if you're out on the bike, it's clear that you are doing something about it and that's good to see. And the gear always looks a bit silly unless you have a bike to go with it :lol:

Stick at it, cos if you can enjoy cycling when it's cold, wet and miserable weather, you'll love it when the weather is better. There is plenty of advice available on here so don't be afraid to ask. Build up your mileage steadily and Manchester-Blackpool will be fine. It certainly won't be as hilly as riding around t'valley.

Enjoy, and good luck.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    The Tiagra dressed Ribble will serve you well. As for the cycling clothing, many of us look less than athletic but it works and makes the ride so much more comfortable. To quote the indominatable Jeeves, I look like I have been poured into mine but someone forgot to stay stop! Do I care......not a jot.

D :D
  • Another thumbs up for the Ribble winter bike. I've had mine for 3 years now and it's been faultless. I've actually got a mirage/veloce mixed groupset on mine and whilst not as slick as the Chorus on my summer bike it performs just fine. I'm your Tiagra will be equally suitable for winter riding. Good luck with your winter training weight loss!
    Nice one Tony, I hope your bike arrives soon and you can get out there riding. You do seem very determined, planning to ride through the winter certainly shows that you mean business, so the extra weight you are carrying will soon dissapear. Only down side I can see is that you will soon have to spend even more money on new clothes to fit the 'new you'! Good luck with it all.
  • Well the bike has arrived and i got to say it looks miles better in the flesh than on the interweb, fixed everything on that needed fixing on last night so last thing is the computer fitting and get the lights on, which i will do tonight, then its off into the great unknown!!!! :lol:

Just hope nothing untowards happens, like abuse from passing cars etc but hey ho the way the world is these days i guess i have to expect something like that to happen, seems to me the morons of the world are taking over!!
  • Good luck tony enjoy it mate, dont worry about abuse mate theyre only jealous anyway, sweating away in their cars or vans wishing they had the balls to do what you`re doing lol.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    If it only just fits you'll look better in probably 3 weeks if you watch what you eat as well.

I started cycling at 16 stone (5ft 10) used to wear footie shorts over my lycra and a bagging mtb jersey. Now i'm 11stone 7lb and love nothing more and donning some skin tight lycra leggings ;)

An hour of decent paced cycling is like 700kcals, it'll go in no time and who gives a f**k what anyone else thinks :)
  • I have been on a diet for last 6 weeks and lost just over a stone just with cutting out as many takeaways and watching what i eat, currently at 18 and a half stone but am determined to get my fat ass in gear!!

Cant wait to get started!!!
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    good man

I've been riding my Ribble winter bike (Veloce Group Set) for over a week now and have got to say it is awesome.My other bikes are tucked away with no regrets for the winter or in the case of my tt bike attached to my turbo trainer.

as to weight loss I am now below 12 stone (this time last year 13.5) and it is fair to say I am not trying to lose weight at all so just get going the weight will fall away :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Another happy ribble winter owner here, people frequently comment on how nice it looks.

Congrats on your excellent taste 8)
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Well done on getting started Tony. Don't worry about what others 'may' think...i think a lot of that is in your head, not theirs. I don't think most people will give you a second glance.

The Ribble/Tiagra, funnily enough, i was researching bikes the other night, although its not what i'm looking for, i looked at that one and thought...that bike's really good value for money and not bad looking either.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    the ribble winter bike is universally seen as the best value bicycle you can buy. anywhere, ever.
  • Well went out for my first ride in the howling wind yesterday!! what an experience that was!!!

Was nice and toasty in the gear and i didnt get any second glances from anyone so nothing to worry about there.

Decided to purchase some water proof over trouser thingies now to keep me dry in case it chucks it down when im next out, tomorrow is next ride as legs feel a bit sore and backside isnt feeling its usual happy self but i guess thats something i just got to get through until i get used to riding again!!

Not really pushing myself as yet as dont want to injure something which then puts me back, slow and steady is the order for now.

Got to say that, even though i could hardly breath at times cos of the wind, i really enjoyed it and cant wait to get out again, as long as i can sit on the saddle that is!!!
  • keep going, I only started a year ago and have lost 1.5 stone. Finding it a bit difficult to get out in the high winds so have bought a turbo. Dont care what anyone thinks you look like, just enjoy
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    welcome and enjoy the bike I use tiagra (10 speed) nothing wrong with it and more than enough for riding both summer and winter. 2 years ago I was bordering on 14.5 stone 36" waist and miserable through cycling ive dropped to 11.5 stone and 30" waist much happier and of course healthier. Stick at it and dont give up
  • peejay78 wrote:
    the ribble winter bike is universally seen as the best value bicycle you can buy. anywhere, ever.
    Don't know why, that made me giggle to myself....can't say it any clearer or more conclusively than that eh.. :P
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I bought a non winter Ribble 7005 (same as the winter one but with a shorter wheelbase and no mudguard/rack eyes) with Tiagra almost 2 years ago and it's been very good. As for the clothing making you look like a pudding, more of an incentive to ride faster so that no one recognises you...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Congratulations and commiserations :P

Congrats on the new bike and getting out there in this weather :lol:

Commiserations on becoming more and more obsessed with all things bike and lycra, and the empty wallet/bank account/credit card limit etc :shock:

I recently bought a new jersey. Had to go for XXL size and makes me look like a 70's velcro wearing tracksuit weirdo, approx 7months pregnant :!: Family absolutely wet themselves with laughter when they saw me wearing it (great support), but it's the best money I've spent on clothing period 8)