Roger Hammond and Dan Lloyd

Neil Buckley
Neil Buckley Posts: 334
edited December 2011 in Pro race
Just looking at Garmins 2012 roster anyone know we're they have gone? Will be a shame if they don't pick a decent ride up..
Helmand Province is such a nice place.....

Comments

• Dan Lloyd's contract has not been renewed :(
    Gordo's World of Zoom http://zoom-gordo.blogspot.com/
    Those that can, do. Those that can't write about it.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    A tweet from Sporza had the words "Daniel Lloyd" and "Lampre" in it along with some random flemish so hopefully that is a good sign.

How long can Garmin keep playing on their "clean" image do you think after ditching Lloyd and Hammond for Dekker and Rasmussen...?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    r0bh wrote:
    A tweet from Sporza had the words "Daniel Lloyd" and "Lampre" in it along with some random flemish so hopefully that is a good sign.

How long can Garmin keep playing on their "clean" image do you think after ditching Lloyd and Hammond for Dekker and Rasmussen...?

The Sporza text would have referred to Matt Lloyd, not Dan.

As for the latter question, Vaughters has always been keen to show that ex-dopers can be rehabilitated, like he has with David Millar. Dekker made a mistake, paid the price and now has a chance to show he can do it clean. As for Rasmussen, he did not have a case to answer, as the UCI failed to follow their own procedure.

It's unfortunate for both Dan Lloyd and Roger Hammond that they don't have a place on Garmin-Cervelo next season, but one can only assume that Vaughters has his reasons for not renewing their contracts and thinks he has a better team than he had this year.
  • The 2 riders in question were inherited and always seemed like they got the Cervelo gig as they were needed to make up the numbers (kind of like half of Leopard's team last year or Sky's for the last 2) ...

Things seem to be changing and the big teams (or those with ambition) are no longer filling their roster with journeymen, and if they are they need to be a Voigt, Hincapie, Millar type who have been at the front of enough races to make a difference and help the younger guys or the more talented cyclists who struggle to lead a team ... The big teams have enough smarts to know that the winner is often not the leader ...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I was just listening to an interveiw with Vroomen from earlier in the year where he was saying good things about Lloyd and Hammond. I'd love to see Hammond continue, he's the last continental pro still riding that I've actually raced with :D
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Interesting interview with Dan Lloyd who seems resigned to not being able to ride at the top level next year.

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=19548

Disappointing note at the end. As for Roger Hammond I guess his age is against him when looking for a new team. Pity as he was a real grafter for his team leaders in the Spring Classics.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Feel so sorry for them, simply being pro riders at the wrong time, when there are so many other good domestiques on the market.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Roger Hammond has done a great job for GC. I've always thought he came across really well in the 'Beyond the Peloton' videos as well.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Could be that Roger Hammond might get a ride with Accent Jobs-Verandas Willems. Back to that part of the world where he began his pro career - might see him in the spring classics yet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/accent-jobs-verandas-willems-hopes-to-sign-more-riders-for-2012
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I would rather see Sky take them on, rather than support the programmes of the Scandanavians and Australasions...
  • andyp
    Little Englander alert!

Are you seriously suggesting that Hammond and Lloyd could fill the shoes of EBH?
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Dan Lloyd interview on Velonation, sadly doesn't sound hopeful, and casts Father Vaughters' man management in a poor light

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10666 ... -road.aspx
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    A very good interview. Sadly for him, he has probably shown a degree of naiveity for which he is now paying a dear price for - the end of his career. The blunt fact is that the opportunities just aren't there at the level he wants to continue and its debateable whether the outcome would have been different even if he had started his search sooner.

I like the honesty and determination he shows in the interview. Early days but if he decides to commit to a career in coaching, I think he has all the potential to turn out to be one of the better ones. Good luck to him!!
  • pedro118118
    andyp wrote:
    Little Englander alert!

Are you seriously suggesting that Hammond and Lloyd could fill the shoes of EBH?

In a word 'no' - you came to your own conclusion.

The point I was making was that Team Sky, as a British team, should put a clear emphasis/preference on British riders. All things being equal, Sky should recruit British riders - I have no doubt that Hammond and Lloyd are the equal of some of the foreign riders on the Sky roster - names like Augustyn, Barry, Cioni, Pauwels, Nordhaug all spring to mind. Are they better than Hammond and Lloyd? EBH is an exceptional case, as he's an exceptional rider (when he's fit).
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    andyp wrote:
    Little Englander alert!

In a word 'no' - you came to your own conclusion.

The point I was making was that Team Sky, as a British team, should put a clear emphasis/preference on British riders. All things being equal, Sky should recruit British riders - I have no doubt that Hammond and Lloyd are the equal of some of the foreign riders on the Sky roster - names like Augustyn, Barry, Cioni, Pauwels, Nordhaug all spring to mind. Are they better than Hammond and Lloyd? EBH is an exceptional case, as he's an exceptional rider (when he's fit).

How do you know that Sky wouldn't be interested in Hammond and Lloyd? Teams can only contract a certain number of riders (not sure how up to date this is for 2012... http://inrng.com/2010/08/that-uci-rule-on-team-size-garmin-edition/). If Sky had already contracted or given offers to their maximum number of riders, when they realised Hammond and Lloyd would be available then they still wouldn't be able to sign them.

I know the riders you gave were an example, but Augustyn, Cioni and Pauwels have all moved on from Sky anyway (I think Cioni has retired and will be working with Sky in PR).
  • I'm surprised the UCI hasn't relaxed that ruling this year, particularly with so many teams disappearing at the eleventh hour. But now I think about it we've lost Geox, Leopard Trek (sort of) and Cervelo(again sort of), but gained Greenedge and one more Belgian team... so that's about thirty riders and assorted staff potentially still looking for work. What's the average 'natural wastage' in terms of retirement/injury per year?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Presumably Cioni's retirement will free up a berth at Sky - would be nice to see it going to another Brit, I agree that Sky could be doing more to promote British cyclists (although obviously it is already doing a lot). What I would really like to see is a second tier British team at Pro-Continental level, maybe Endura could take on Lloyd and Hammond and really push for it next season.
  • National teams for the Tour anyone?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I'm surprised the UCI hasn't relaxed that ruling this year, particularly with so many teams disappearing at the eleventh hour. But now I think about it we've lost Geox, Leopard Trek (sort of) and Cervelo(again sort of), but gained Greenedge and one more Belgian team... so that's about thirty riders and assorted staff potentially still looking for work. What's the average 'natural wastage' in terms of retirement/injury per year?

The problem with relaxing that ruling is that you could end up with some teams with money signing anyone, not giving other teams a chance. You also end up with teams stretching themselves too much. If the sugar daddy/big sponsor pulls out it's more difficult to keep a team running with say 35 riders than 28.
  • pedro118118
    I'm not suggestig that Lloyd and Hammond have a 'right' to a contract, with Sky or anyone else for that matter. It is often difficult to see where Sky ends and BC begins - probably due to Dave Brailsford's dual role. At the end of the day, you can bet your bottom dollar that the likes of GreenEdge won't be allowing top quality Aussie riders to end up on the scrap heap at the expense of foreign 'help'.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    No disputing that Hammond and Lloyd are fantastic riders. I'm a massive fan of Hammond.

I'm very supraised no-one has looked to pickup Hammond just for the classics. It's worth remembering he has never ridden the TDF.

BC are funded on their success of getting medals. Which you have to wonder are Hammonds & Lloyd will ever come close to winning or being part of a team that would win medals. At this time in their career. Who would you want to gamble on Hammond or Stannard? Kennaugh or Lloyd?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    At the end of the day, you can bet your bottom dollar that the likes of GreenEdge won't be allowing top quality Aussie riders to end up on the scrap heap at the expense of foreign 'help'.

There's an Aussie Grand Tour King of the Mountains currently without a team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    At the end of the day, you can bet your bottom dollar that the likes of GreenEdge won't be allowing top quality Aussie riders to end up on the scrap heap at the expense of foreign 'help'.

He's a bit fishy isn't he?
  • Hasn't Hammond got a team for next year ? How come ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • RichN95.
    Squaggles wrote:
    Hasn't Hammond got a team for next year ? How come ?

No. Because he's 38 next month.
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:

One assumes you're referring to Matt Lloyd, who recently signed for Lampre.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:

But still good enough I think and a massive amount of experience , just the type of guy to help younger riders , I hope he gets something sorted out
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    Squaggles wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Squaggles wrote:

But still good enough I think and a massive amount of experience , just the type of guy to help younger riders , I hope he gets something sorted out

I've been aware of Roger's career since before he won the junior world CX champs but surely there comes a time when you have to realise it is all over at the top level? Not many go on to race on the pro tour at 40 and (without looking up results and relying on a notoriously bad memory for sporting trivia) his results have slipped off in the last couple of years. Everyone has to go at some point.
  • pedro118118
    RichN95 wrote:

Who's that then?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Who's that then?

Matt Lloyd, although it seems he got fixed up with Lampre last month. Even so he was jobless for seven months and GreenEdge steered clear. And unlike RH & DL for Sky, ML (issues aside) would have offered GE something they don't otherwise have .