Which grease?

FODCADEMON
FODCADEMON Posts: 207
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I plan to regrease both my headset bearings and hubs soon, but the only grease currently on my shed is copper slip. Will this be O.K or should I get something else?
Just ride.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not as a grease no, best of with Teflon fortified bike grease such as Halfords and Finishline do. NEVER lithium grease!
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Definitely not copper grease, that's pretty much just for threads. I use Rock n Roll Super Web grease for bearings although marine grease is often recommended.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    +1 For Rock and Roll Super Web seems to stay in place a lot longer than the usual bike stuff. Dont use it in hub bearings though its too sticky, its best for headsets and pivots that dont actually move much but need protecting from water. I use Weldtite teflon grease in hubs then seal the bearings with a wipe of super web, seems to work just fine though might be too belt and braces.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • I use Shimano waterproof grease. Rather expensive but bloody good. I use it for anything that might get water ingress.
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    Copperslip will be no good.

I have used white lithuim grease and it did not seam to last that long.

I have also just used some car CV joint grease, not sure how long this will last, should be decent (i filled a large syringe with it)

At work we use a grease to protect our robots and spray cell housings from glue contamination, i keep meaning to ask the techs for the spec of the grease (and i was arm deep in the barrel on friday as well)

Usually 1 or two massive barrels of the stuff kicking about, must remember to read the label.
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i'm a big fan of rock n roll red devil grease. my LBS swears by it as well
  • ben using halfords teflon grease for the past 6 years... does the job and its cheap.
  • ben using halfords teflon grease for the past 6 years... does the job and its cheap.

+1 for this stuff, i did a service on my coil forks witht his couple of weeks ago £5.99 i paid also.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Not as a grease no, best of with Teflon fortified bike grease such as Halfords and Finishline do. NEVER lithium grease!

I just did my headset with Lithium........does this mean im going to hell? (was the only thing i had at home) :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well it might rot the seals, but will probably dry out and look like old toothpaste way before then ;-)
  • Right off to halfords in the morning then! Ive now lost confidence in my LBS who assured me when i asked that lithium was fine on pretty much anything O_o
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    THIS, cheap and cheerfull and excellent for bearings, threads etc etc.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Bike grease & lubricants are sooo expensive. It's all a rip off.
    Try to source the same lubricant from a motor factors or eBay and get 10 times the amount for the same money.
    I've just purchased some of this waterproof aquaslip grease for only £7.88 delivered. Will last me for ever.
    This above and some copper grease for threads, my trusted pot of Catstol LM grease that is now only getting low after 10+ years and chainsaw chain oil for the bike chain, I've got all the bike lubrication I need for little money.

The only problem is that I haven't been using it and now after both a bottom bracket and rear hub failure in the last week, I'm going to start doing more maintenance. Hence why I've just purchased the marine grease.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ben using halfords teflon grease for the past 6 years... does the job and its cheap.

+1 for this stuff, i did a service on my coil forks witht his couple of weeks ago £5.99 i paid also.
    +2
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."