Cassette Quesion

gazman1
gazman1 Posts: 77
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi All, i`m another newbie with a question, i have recently bought a Beone Briza2 to get started on the cassette is i think 12-28 not certain however the 2 lowest i.e. biggest are the same size, i took the cassette off and put another one on which i had in my spares box but it was too narrow. The existing cassette is all in one piece apart from last 2 cogs has anyone any ideas why they are the same size? also the tyres on it are 700/20 will they be ok for the time of year? excuse my lack of knowledge thanks in advance, gaz

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    According to this:
    http://www.ibikedb.net/bikes/34039-beon ... -briza-2-0

...it will probably be a 2200 8 speed groupset, assuming your bike is 2nd hand and the same era? Looking at the current options with lots of teeth, you have either 12-25 or 13-26. This is the kind of cassette you will need.

If the cassette you had on there already had 2 cogs the same size then this could be because the previous owner did this for some obscure reason or because you miscounted? Have you methodically counted the teeth so that you are sure they are the same? They do have the numbers marked on them but they can be hard to read with a load of crud on there too. Either way there is no reason to have two cogs the same size, particularly on an 8 speed.

Regarding the tyres, I wouldn't run 20mm at anytime but that is just me. There is no compelling reason I can think of as to why a 20mm tyre won't do for the winter (let's face it, the grip on a 23mm is not dramatically different to a 20mm) but the question is are the tyres OK? If they are 2nd hand (or even a stock item) then you might want to treat yourself to something good for the winter like 25mm Conti Gators or Micheliin Krylions, if you have the right clearance. Those options are great tyres in that they offer a good compromise on p* resistance, grip and rolling resistance for a reasonable price.
  • Thanks Bobinogs i will look tomorrow and count them and come back to you, gaz
  • Ok just been out and counted the cogs are small 12 two largest 23 does this indicate that it should be 12/25 and the 25 has been swapped for another 23? tyres are actually 700/23c by the way thanks, gaz