N+1 decisions...

keyser__soze
keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
My stable currently consists of my Sunday best, a (second-hand) Scott Addict R1 with some nice expensive components and DA wheelset, and my 'winter hack', a roughly 8 year old Saracen Tourmalet alu road bike with 9-speed 105 and heavy WH-R535 wheels I bought roughly 16 months ago.

The Scott has been an absolute revelation since I bought it, much more comfortable to ride, a better fit, significantly lighter and faster and just more enjoyable to ride compared with the Saracen. The brakes in particular are a different league, so much so I am always slightly worried stopping on the Saracen, particularly when wet, and I plain just don't enjoy riding it. As such I've been using the Scott on the commute far more than I probably should, particularly given the cost of replacement components for it and the London potholes aren't doing great things for my wheelset.

Most of my cycling is on my commute - around 30 miles round a day that I treat not just as a commute but also a training ride (where safe) and I like enjoying the ride rather than finding it a hack. My partner will be racing next year and I quite fancy trying it myself, and we will both be upping the mileage at weekends over the winter. I'm not keen on putting many miles in on the Saracen but I'm also not keen on exposing the Scott to grit/grime etc. As such I'm looking at purchasing another bike to use as a reasonable-weather daily driver/commuter, a winter weekend bike and potentially a crit/circuit racing bike, saving the Saracen for downpours and deep winter gritted-road commutes and the Scott for summer weekends.

I've seen a couple of decent deals, one on another Addict, a 105-equipped R3, the other one on a 105 CAAD10 which works out roughly 200 notes less, and I'm in two minds which to err for. The finishing kit/wheels are pretty much the same across the two bikes, and 105 groupset seems the best for price/performance and won't break the bank to replace cassettes/chainrings/chains. I know the Addict will fit perfectly, the ride should be pretty similar to the R1, stiff and light yet smooth so not too jarring on the commute, and it's a race geometry should I wish to ever race it. The CAAD10 is quite a bit cheaper and being alu probably more durable for the inevitable offs if I take up circuit racing/continue arguing with motor vehicles on the commute, yet is going to be a little heavier and a harsher ride.

Any thoughts from the crowd? Any other suggestions?
"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
"Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    what is your budget?

Titanium sounds ideal for what you want but will probably be more expensive...
  • If I were to buy an n+1 from your starting point, I wouldn't get something just like I had. I'm old, I like mudguards - see, I'll say it. I don't care so much any more.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Don't think you can lose with those to. I've taken a CAAD 10 for a spin. Fabulous bike. if my budget had been slightly bigger I'd have gone for one over my 105 Synapse (which I love to bits regardless). Although, I would probably have ended up with a Supersix, but that's another story...

Everybody raves about the Scotts though, so they must be onto something. I have heard it mentioned that they occasionally look like a Felt though.

My only other suggestion would be a Genesis Equilibrium. I can't describe what it is about that bike, but it's just a bike you ride with a smile on your face. Same price as a CAAD10 105 last time I looked. Possibly not as racy, but others can confirm that.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Canyon Ultimate Al? Seem to have good deals and gets great write ups. The thing that would concern me about a CAAD10 or similar is I don't actually think they are any more durable than carbon due to very thin tubing - have heard a few stories of CAAD9's being trashed in crashes, so for a commuter / winter bike / crit bike I would probably getting something cheaper and heavier / more robust. Kind of like what I ride fir that purpose in fact :) (see the Prorace in my Flickr link - the blue one I'm riding up the Hautacam).

Ribble alu frame might be a good option as well. Agree 105 lvel gruppo makes sense (could equally go for Veloce or Rival).
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    what is your budget?

About a grand, so not enough to go Ti sadly.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:
    what is your budget?

About a grand, so not enough to go Ti sadly.
    if you go frame only you do... swap it in for your saracen and then save £300 for 105.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    If you're looking for a crit racer I don't think you can go far wrong with the CAAD like you say it's not got to take full on abuse, and a carbon fork will stop most of the harsh issues.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    In similar circumstances I went carbon - ie my RIbble Gran Fondo. I'd have ideally gone for a Bob Jackson steel at the time but bespoke geometry would have meant a long wait. The Ribble was short enough for me so although it seemed an unlikely commuter somehow, I went for it and it has done me nearly 4000 miles this year - probably well over 3000 of those on the commute. Fitted permanently with Crud Road Racers it has been excellent and it is tough as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Rolf F wrote:
    In similar circumstances I went carbon - ie my RIbble Gran Fondo. I'd have ideally gone for a Bob Jackson steel at the time but bespoke geometry would have meant a long wait. The Ribble was short enough for me so although it seemed an unlikely commuter somehow, I went for it and it has done me nearly 4000 miles this year - probably well over 3000 of those on the commute. Fitted permanently with Crud Road Racers it has been excellent and it is tough as well.

And probably the best looking bike ribble make.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Race what you can afford to replace. I wouldn't worry about alu being heavier and all that, particularly if you'll be in a group - a clubmate won a race at Hillingdon on a stock Triandrun bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1157494

In case you fancy doing cross...
  • http://www.sporza.be/permalink/1.1157494

This is the reason I'm against any more speed bumps in Richmond park :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

This is the reason I'm against any more speed bumps in Richmond park :)

It'd be carbon chaos!
  • Test-rode the R3 the other day and decided to take it. Rides pretty much the same as the R1, just a little heavier, and the 105 groupset isn't as sharp shifting or braking as the Force, but it's a good price and I can always change components later.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Cool - report and pictures in due course please!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

Lol, Belgian accents...

Whats this about speed bumps in Richmond Park?