Moving to Suburbiton - Any good routes to the park?

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Moving from Teddington to Surbiton in december so no more Ham Gate ave and ballet school for me which is a shame but still like to go though the park but enter at Kingston Gate instead. Is this just daft as I can probably skip the whole section. Anybody else do that route, going onto embankment then along to CW. :?:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I live quite near Kingston Gate so thinking if I were to ride to Surbiton. I'd cross Fairfield then go along Knights Park, I think, which has a bridge you can cycle over that crosses the Hogsmill and carry on towards Surbiton. From there I'd say it depends on where in Surbiton I guess.
    I'll check my facts and amend if necessary. I'm sure someone will be along with a better idea.
    Good luck with the move.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    The easiest way, depending on where you live in Surbiton will be following portsmouth Road going through the market, over the road by bentalls, then down the back of the big sainsburys that will bring you to the bottom of Kings Road in north Kingston, then you follow that all the way up to Kingston Gate (it comes out right next to it)

Personally I find the faff and added traffic of fairfield and all that bollocks a pain in the arse, Portsmouth Road is fast as you don't need to stop and there is nobody in the market in the morning, apart from the fat market stall womanwho is a cnut.

I will be going from Surbiton to Kings X as of Monday :)
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Koncordski
    Hey thanks, so I guess something like this?

http://g.co/maps/b3atp

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • veronese68
    okgo wrote:
    The easiest way, depending on where you live in Surbiton will be following portsmouth Road going through the market, over the road by bentalls, then down the back of the big sainsburys that will bring you to the bottom of Kings Road in north Kingston, then you follow that all the way up to Kingston Gate (it comes out right next to it)

Personally I find the faff and added traffic of fairfield and all that bollocks a pain in the ars*, Portsmouth Road is fast as you don't need to stop and there is nobody in the market in the morning, apart from the fat market stall womanwho is a cnut.

I will be going from Surbiton to Kings X as of Monday :)

This is very true, I only ever go that way if I'm out drinking over that way. So I tend to avoid the faster road and bimble on the pub bike.
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    looks good, I'll look out for the Blue Trek. I've really got to start setting out earlier!! You're usually RP 7.45ish?

Red Cougar & antique blue & yellow Europ-Decor Boule d'Or jersey. :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I live nearer portsmouth road than you, so I go straight onto that and go the whole way along, you can't see the path through from the market etc that well on that map, but you've got the general gist of it. I don't like the Penrhyn road to be honest, Portsmouth road seems faster to me. And its not lined with horrid students.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    @Koncordski, was in the Clock House last night, nice pint of TT Landlord. :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What Okgo said.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    From the start point on your map I'd go down Villiers Road to the park. Not quite as nice as Portsmouth Road but a lot more direct.
    like this: http://g.co/maps/t7eax
  • Koncordski
    KevEss wrote:
    looks good, I'll look out for the Blue Trek. I've really got to start setting out earlier!! You're usually RP 7.45ish?

Red Cougar & antique blue & yellow Europ-Decor Boule d'Or jersey. :)

Yeah usually leave 7:25 and hit the park (ham gate) 7:35 ish then about a 10 min traverse down to priory lane. I'm so bad at leaving at the same time so the park is a bit hit and miss on spots. Tend to start seeing regulars by the time i get to chelsea.

The clock is an ok pub but to be honest the landlord is a bit of an arsey git. The builders arms is a proper little backstreet boozer but the ale can be hit'n miss. Suggest you try the Tide End down by the river, it's admittedly a Green King pub but the beer is always well kept. Bugger, going to have to find all the good Surbiton pubs now. Anything but a weatherspoon's is usually a good start.

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    My route is Portsmouth road , down the high st then right into Eden st. Follow round until the ped x-ing then left into castle street (pedestrianised road) , right into Fife road. After the lights go opposite onto the bike lane to the right of the station , join the Richmond road at the end of the lane and go right into East road. Then take acre rd and king's rd to the park gate.

Er,doesn't sound so simple now i've typed it in. Have a look at one of my strava rides if that sounds confused.
  • veronese68
    Tide End is good, it's a stop on our off road cycling pub crawl.