Q) What do you get if you combine Chilies, Pumpkins and Jam

drays
drays Posts: 119
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
A) An early 90's rock rediscovery.

What with all of this 20th Anniversary of Nevermind filling the BBC4 schedule recently with Nirvana and Pearl Jam documentaries and concert footage, i have been inspired to order the first three Pearl Jam albums plus Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (on cd of course - none of this new fangled digital download nonsense :wink: ) all of which I had on tape back in the day but never replaced with something i can actually listen to these days!

And to top it all off, i went to see Red Hot Chili Peppers in Sheffield last night 8)
2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Saw the Pumpkins at Brixton on Wed. night. Currently listening to Adore...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    y'see - I remember seeing the Red Hot Cili peppers in 1988 at Dingwalls in Camden.....Us oldies have never let those albums (yes, I only have Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth on vinyl - as it should be!) out of our sight.....

Glad to see the yoof of today enjoying music from my yoof. I saw Nirvana at Norwich waterfront centre in 1990, they were sh1te! - but I did get the setlist with Kurt Cobains bootmark on it, someon nicked it from me though.

Also Recommend:

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation and Dirty
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic are about their best - the new stuff is too fluffy for me.

if you like the rockier edge....
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    JonGinge wrote:

Saw them on Tues, what did you think?
  • drays
    The Chilies are one of those bands that seem to get better with age (although they've always been better when John Frusciante's in the band)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    gtvlusso wrote:
    y'see - I remember seeing the Red Hot Cili peppers in 1988 at Dingwalls in Camden.....Us oldies have never let those albums
    Oldies pfffffffffffffffft. You need to go back to Yes releasing Yessongs or Tales Of Topographic Oceans, Hawkwind having a cracking new LP out called The Space Ritual or hearing that Zeppelin had a new one due soon, to be cunningly titled Led Zeppelin II. Or a new band called Queen following up their tempting first offering with the equally cunning Queen II.

1988 = old? LOL.

:wink:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    Cool, how were they?
  • jonginge
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Saw them on Tues, what did you think?
    Bassist. Hubba, hubba

Not bad actually. The older stuff was what I was there for and that was great. Possibly a bit too much filler between tracks but it showed the new band are proficient.

They haven't played zero or bullet. What will be in the encore? ;)

ETA: Set was nearly 2hrs. Don't get that often these days.
    ETA2: The 'not bad actually' is a bit of understatement as I've had Pumpkin tracks as earworms for the last couple of days
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Also saw Jane's Addiction a month or so ago. They were freaking awesome.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gtvlusso
    CiB wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    y'see - I remember seeing the Red Hot Cili peppers in 1988 at Dingwalls in Camden.....Us oldies have never let those albums
    Oldies pfffffffffffffffft. You need to go back to Yes releasing Yessongs or Tales Of Topographic Oceans, Hawkwind having a cracking new LP out called The Space Ritual or hearing that Zeppelin had a new one due soon, to be cunningly titled Led Zeppelin II. Or a new band called Queen following up their tempting first offering with the equally cunning Queen II.

1988 = old? LOL.

Fine line between old and vintage.....:-)

Although, I am a secret Led Zep fan....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I understand No Nirvana is on iPlayer, I still have it on Betamax somewhere...
    Awesome though, almost without exception I love all those bands.
  • drays
    gtvlusso wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

1988 = old? LOL.

Fine line between old and vintage.....:-)

Although, I am a secret Led Zep fan....

CiB - You can remember when Queen released their second album!!! :shock:

Was reading in an interview with Michael Stipe the other day, he said most people's favourite REM album is the one that was released the year they left college - as a music listener, that's clearly the period that defines one's musical taste! :D
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:

1988 = old? LOL.

I was born in '88...
  • rick_chasey
    They played Nirvana at the paramount the other week on BBC 4. The whole gig.

Was really very very good.
  • drays

Yes excellent gig indeed. The dancers were a bit out of place though!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • rick_chasey
    drays wrote:

I liked the dancers.

Seriously sterotypical '90s though. Girl with short hear wearing 'boy' on her top, guy with long hair wearing 'girl' on his top.
  • drays
    drays wrote:

I liked the dancers.

Seriously sterotypical '90s though. Girl with short hear wearing 'boy' on her top, guy with long hair wearing 'girl' on his top.

:o I thought they were both girls!!!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • rick_chasey
    drays wrote:
    drays wrote:

I liked the dancers.

:o I thought they were both girls!!!

Ha, maybe I made it up then.

Don't think so though.. Will have to have a look on youtube...

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aY4k#t=69s

he's got to be a guy, surely? (short hair though. Mind is playing tricks..)

The other one is a girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... aY4k#t=32s
  • drays
    Seriously sterotypical '90s though. Girl with short hear wearing 'boy' on her top, guy with long hair wearing 'girl' on his top

On watching it again (thanks for the links!) it's as you said. Except both with short hair!
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Massive pumpkins fan. All about siamese dream, although mellon collie is epic. It has to be said, If i knew them when 'rotten apples' came out, I would have killed to go on that tour. Maybe I haven't listened to Zeitgeist enough.

Saw Chilis in hyde park when their greatest hits came out and managed to bag James Brown at the same time, what luck as he snuffed it not long after.

Quite a 'chilled' affair really, as it was one of those events where they have the golden circle at the front which I find really ruins the atmosphere for those who arent right up against the barrier.

For some reason I am now a huge fan of electro and dubstep and recently attended this: www.ilovetechno.be

If you are in any way electronically inclined, I suggest you check out Feed Me on youtube (cott's face and raw chicken are great tracks)
  • rick_chasey
    You went to I love techno?!?!

Ha!

There is much music we must discuss.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134

Ha!

Is that still going? Remember it as a regular night at Vooruit in Gent back in 97/98.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    coriordan wrote:
    If you are in any way electronically inclined, I suggest you check out Feed Me on youtube (cott's face and raw chicken are great tracks)

Nice, not heard of Feed Me before. If you also like a more DnB sound then these may be of interest:
    Phace - Non Human
    Spor - Aztec (Noisia Remix)
    Subterra - Cold Shoulder
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:

Ha!

Is that still going? Remember it as a regular night at Vooruit in Gent back in 97/98.

I imagine it's moved on since. http://www.ilovetechno.be/

My sister is desperate to go to sensation white in Amsterdam.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was unreal. Feed Me pretty much blew me away. Cannot recommend it enough. Plenty of Electro 'drops' to keep it quite heavy, with a solid dubstep vibe running throughout, but not dominating the main sound, just a cheeky compliment.
    T E E D were also absolutely incredible,their live set was just SOOO good. Sadly missed C+S as someone decided to have a seizure just as we arrived, then I flagged massively and had a kip during boyz noize, gutted to miss That OH! Sound.
    Now desperate to see Feed Me again, TEED and will be returning to I<3 techno next year if the lineup is even nearly as good!
  • gtvlusso
    At the moment:

Queens of the Stoneage, Little Barrie and Wu Tang.....

Remiscing about the days when I could go to a gig.....I have seen most of the bands I ever wanted to see live, except Led Zep and Cream - too damn expensive!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:

The Koko gig? Missed out on tickets for that one (grr!), but they were also freaking awesome when I have seen them (the Halloween gig at Brixton a few years back, and the one with NIN at the O2).

As for RHCP: These days, 'Meh'. I love the earlier records (up to and including BSSM- one of the greatest albums ever, One Hot Minute has its moments), they were killer live, but I have no interest in buying another record unless they decide to rediscover the old funk sound...not seeing them live for the same reason. Last time (Earls Court on the Stadium Arcadium tour) I saw them they played one song from the first four albums. But the one they did play went down like a lead balloon because hardly anyone knew it....nuts. Never seen that with umpteen other acts.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jonginge
    StuAff wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

The Koko gig? Missed out on tickets for that one (grr!), but they were also freaking awesome when I have seen them (the Halloween gig at Brixton a few years back, and the one with NIN at the O2).

As for RHCP: These days, 'Meh'. I love the earlier records (up to and including BSSM- one of the greatest albums ever, One Hot Minute has its moments), they were killer live, but I have no interest in buying another record unless they decide to rediscover the old funk sound...not seeing them live for the same reason. Last time (Earls Court on the Stadium Arcadium tour) I saw them they played one song from the first four albums. But the one they did play went down like a lead balloon because hardly anyone knew it....nuts. Never seen that with umpteen other acts.
    Yep, Koko. Very good indeed :) (Sorry)

Agree with you on RHCP. MM and BSSM very good. OHM pretty good but it's been downhill since Californication. Saw them at Reading (94), not that great.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Lawnmower Deth - Kids in America
    Hawkwind - Masters of the Universe