Reclip-in clipless shocker

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
OK ok. I'm fine with the problem of not being able to get your foot out in time with clipless pedals; where you intend to unclip but can't for some reason. I'm fine with the idea that if you take your chances and go up to a junction unclipping at the last possible, but coolest, moment, then you deserve all you get. I'm fine with the idea that track standing, tail gating, queue weaving, stunts etc.. in clipless pedals may lead to a tumble.

What I'm not fine with, is the idea of unclipping in plenty of time and then somehow when trying to bring the bike to a graceful halt, biting the tarmac, as somehow having previously unclipped, you've accidentally and silently reclipped into the pedal......Reclipping clipless falls are just not deserved as there is no up side of performing a demonstration of sublime bike handling.....

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Or the classic unclip left foot, roll to a stop, and lean right....
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Torvid wrote:

Doh been there!

I always look for a railing or something to hold when I come to the lights, that way I can stay clipped in. Stopped at a T-junction a few years ago and spotted a reflective post to hold....stayed clipped in, put my hand on it and leant....and the whole lot (including me) went over. It was made of plastic, I presume to give way if a car hit it. Felt a right dingbat.
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    I discovered this delightful situation yesterday morning while attempting to come to a graceful halt at the lights by Clapham North! Didn't fall though, managed to unclip at the last second!

It was only my second commute clipless, and I was anticipating a fall at some point so decided, begin with at least, to always pull up and stop at lights as opposed to trying to hang back and not putting a foot down so as to minimise the potential for falling over!

And not 2mins later on CS7, just after Stockwell, I unclipped at some lights and lent in the wrong direction, again somehow unclipped and saved myself from falling!

I'm trying to take it slow, but SCR is always at the back of my mind....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    M-A-S wrote:
    I discovered this delightful situation yesterday morning while attempting to come to a graceful halt at the lights by Clapham North! Didn't fall though, managed to unclip at the last second!

It was only my second commute clipless, and I was anticipating a fall at some point so decided, begin with at least, to always pull up and stop at lights as opposed to trying to hang back and not putting a foot down so as to minimise the potential for falling over!

And not 2mins later on CS7, just after Stockwell, I unclipped at some lights and lent in the wrong direction, again somehow unclipped and saved myself from falling!

Despite commuting fixed and clipless for a year I still far too often pull up right at the line rather than at the point where it's easiest to carry on pedalling again. So I'll stop with feet at 0 and 180 degrees for example, expecting that I'll have time to do the 'brake on, lift back wheel and rotate pedal to correct position' manoeuvre. Fine apart from when I stop, unclip and the light changes the moment I unclip, leaving me in a position with no leverage on the pedals, one foot unclipped and a crowd of people behind wondering what the moron fakenger in front of them is doing.
    I should just RLJ :roll: :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    dhope wrote:
    M-A-S wrote:

Despite commuting fixed and clipless for a year I still far too often pull up right at the line rather than at the point where it's easiest to carry on pedalling again. So I'll stop with feet at 0 and 180 degrees for example, expecting that I'll have time to do the 'brake on, lift back wheel and rotate pedal to correct position' manoeuvre. Fine apart from when I stop, unclip and the light changes the moment I unclip, leaving me in a position with no leverage on the pedals, one foot unclipped and a crowd of people behind wondering what the moron fakenger in front of them is doing.
    I should just RLJ :roll: :wink:

Nooooooo! don't RLJ! For one thing it takes you out of the "game"! Also it makes me irrationally angry! That and cycling on the pavement! (And I'm under strict orders to not to get into anything or say anything to anyone since getting set upon by three blokes last Friday night! My first fight in my 30 years though!)
  • When I disover myself in dhope's predicament, I do this really cool fixie-backpedal whilst hold the front brake on.
    That's when I err, haven't done the cool-fixie-skid thing and track-stood while gazing afar.

Worst clipless moment for me, having ridden them since about, ahem, they err came out. Was on a tandem, first pedal stroke away and down. It's one thing embarassing yourself, but to put your stoker there! I unclipped right, but stoker leant left.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Jeepie wrote:
    OK ok. I'm fine with the problem of not being able to get your foot out in time with clipless pedals; where you intend to unclip but can't for some reason. I'm fine with the idea that if you take your chances and go up to a junction unclipping at the last possible, but coolest, moment, then you deserve all you get. I'm fine with the idea that track standing, tail gating, queue weaving, stunts etc.. in clipless pedals may lead to a tumble.

What I'm not fine with, is the idea of unclipping in plenty of time and then somehow when trying to bring the bike to a graceful halt, biting the tarmac, as somehow having previously unclipped, you've accidentally and silently reclipped into the pedal......Reclipping clipless falls are just not deserved as there is no up side of performing a demonstration of sublime bike handling.....

Nail on the head of My Pet Hate of Look/Shimano/etc pedal systems.

Fortunately, Podios make this about a million times harder to do.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Torvid wrote:

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHITE TRASH MOUTH I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT :oops:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I can remember when I fitted my first pair of look pedals on my road bike (possibly as long as 20 years ago), and after much practicing outside the house decided to take the plunge and go out for a ride, and got lucky in that there were no red lights or a need to stop for about 4 miles, until I came to a set of red traffic lights, slowed down as normal, reached down to release my no longer there toe clips and having the second or two of panic then simply rolling over onto my side with the bike up in the air, much to the amusement of the traffic in the queue....nothing to do really but laugh and try to unclip my feet while upside down.....

Dave
  • Torvid wrote:

I achieved this move during the week, of all places at the school,
    dropped my 2 off
    Ride off and clip in
    stop for small crossing and chat to the mum's :D
    Q "the Classic"
    was asked "what are you doing" I did reply with the simple answer " falling off"

My best was in the early days managed a brave track stand on a hill with the red light like a pro. lights made a quick green red change " I'll track stand again " gravity told me otherwise. Just as a fellow cyclist passed quipped an "Alright mate" Me like a large turtle "Just Pride" He had probably watched the first track-stand as well which probably made him smile even more
    Not that bad but bad enough for me
    Route1.jpg