Upgrading brake discs

JonnyB_UK
JonnyB_UK Posts: 13
edited November 2011 in MTB beginners
Being a bit of a fat lad (on the naughty side of 100kg) I've found my brakes (hayes strikers ryde) don't have enough stopping power for my liking so I'm looking at larger discs. Does this sound like a suitable solution? And how do I move the caliper outwards so it sits correctly on the larger discs, is there some sort of adaptor?
Thanks!

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Increasing rotors will increase power, what size do you have atm? what forks?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • At the mo its 160/160 with rock shox dart 3's
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The darts will struggle with anything over 180 I expect, as the forks aren't stiff enough. I would consider a 180 on the front (£15 from superstar for disc and adaptor) and see how that feels. You could also consider moving to organic pads too - more power but they'll wear out quicker. On the back, if you cant lock the rear wheel even on a 160 then you have something wrong.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I was looking at 203mm but I guess that may be overkill! I can lock the back wheel but not if my weight is over the back if that makes sense.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The darts won't cope with a 203 rotor, try a 180/ 183 that should help also how old are the brakes? what pads do you use? as ben says changing pads could be all you need to do, check out www.superstarcomponents.co.uk good pads, rotors etc
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The brakes are only about 800 miles old and most of that is commuting, they still have plenty of compound left on them. I think I'll get a 180 ordered and see how it works out.
    Thanks guys
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll need an adapter as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Back when I had Darts, I checked on the rockshox website and it said 160mm was the largest rotor they'd take. Maybe you should check their site before you buy anything.
    Big guy; small air!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What they say and what you can get away with are not usually the same!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Why does the fork dictate the size of the discs, it looks like there's plenty of space?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    JonnyB_UK wrote:
    Why does the fork dictate the size of the discs, it looks like there's plenty of space?

Because as everyone knows a larger disc will give you more stopping power. Darts aren't strong enough or stiff enough to safely cope with increased forces this generates.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They will snap in half and you will die.
    Or maybe not.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Aha! That makes sense...
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    My (beloved) old carrera had a set of dart 2's with a 180mm front rotor fitted as standard, so some darts must be able to take them!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Darts can take 180/3 just don't go any bigger.