Alps by train?

G-Wiz
G-Wiz Posts: 261
Investigating this as a way to get to the etape this year, either to annecy or maurienne

Has anyone done it? Can it be done without a huge bike box for my pride and joy?
Is there such thing as a guards van on a TGV? :D

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edited November 2011
    G-Wiz wrote:
    Investigating this as a way to get to the etape this year, either to annecy or maurienne

Has anyone done it? Can it be done without a huge bike box for my pride and joy?
    Is there such thing as a guards van on a TGV? :D

Excellent info here: http://www.seat61.com/index.html

Can take a bike bag no more than 120cm on the Eurostar. TGV is also the same. There are bike storage facilities on the trains but you have to pay.

I'm going to the Etape 1 in Albertville by train from Ebbsfleet. 2 changes one in paris the other in Chambery. About 7 hours in total traveling.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    Do you use a bike bag or pay for the storage?

If it's a bag, anything you can recommend? I have a 60cm frame so I imagine it will be quite tight or need a bit of spannering at each end.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Using a bike bag it can be stored in the luggage racks. Taking the bike whole you have to book this in advance and pay the fee.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    If you get the eurostar over there's no need to bother making any arrangements for the box. Nobody ever seems to care. If you are putting it into the standard racks you have to be quick as a 1200(ish) case takes up a full shelf. A bit of a tip is that I usually leave my bag in car number nine behind the seats as there is extra room in there.

On the tgv it's as described above. You need to get permission etc and it can be a ball ache.

AL
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I've found that they're reasonably relaxed where you stow your bike bag on the TGV. I had no problem leaving mine at the end of the carriage next the exit doors.