Gutted

calonuk
calonuk Posts: 78
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Where to start, a spoke tore the outerskin on my back wheel rim luckily covered by warrenty, a lot of mistakes by the manufacturer and LBS landed up just building me a new wheel after two weeks of waiting and no cycling(very kind). However now for the bad news. There is play in the bottom bracket, cassett needs changing, new chainset and they have also recommended changing to a hollowset inclosed bearings and new chain. Is this normal for 2000 miles apparrently the chain should be changed every 1000 mile (which i didn't know) which has in turn caused all the other issues. The bike i own is 2011 cube hyde.(yes i know a hybrid please do not start not in the mood). LBS = tredz

Any advice on the above and if i really could of caused this much damage.

exercise.png

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could have.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Don't get me started on tredz.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Proper maintainance does make bits last longer, but 2000 miles is a hefty amount, I think you re being a bit harsh, The bits you ve worn out are the bits that do wear out. If you ve commuted in all weathers then I think its pretty acceptable tbh!

BB - yes - replace with a Hope one if you want longevity
    Cassette - yes
    Chainset, no - chainrings, maybe - If you can survive until January, CRC/wiggle will probably have a new crankset (with BB) in the sale for a similar price to buying them separately

By keeping an eye on chainwear and replacing it when necessary you can prolong the life of the cassette and chainrings, but still, they won't last for ever!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • @ ddraver, thank you very much for that, i think i just wanted reassurnace thats all. Yes i cycle in all weather and also along the sea front so introduce sand and sea in the equation and asking for trouble I suppose.

They have shown me a Shimano deore external kit £69, shimano cassette £29 a new chain £16 new pads and gear cables plus labour.

exercise.png
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    They re fair prices for basic parts, you re not being ripped off...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver