Keeping my 150mm of travel.

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Rockshox Revelation dual air front fork. When i set the sag correctly to my weight the travel ends up at around 130mm. How can i keep the travel at nearer 140-150mm?
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you are not setting the sag correctly. Or dont forget you still have the neg travel of the sag.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • widge34
    Well according to the rockshox psi settings for my weight, i 'm looking at around 110psi. So this is what i initially set them at then adjusted them to give me about 30% sag.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As in the FAQ, those settings are usually way out.

How much exposed stanchion is there non sagged? Do the forks stop with 20mm of stanchion when fully compressed?
  • widge34
    Well i pretty well used all 130mm last week, so they are probably a little on the soft side.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Hmm, I need to know the answers to the my previous post as to rule out a fault.

- total length of stanchion exposed when off the bike

Also, if you could.

- measured sag in mm
    - air pressures used.
  • widge34
    Well, got the bike out of shed and started from scratch on the forks. I have around 30% sag and a 142mm of travel.

To acheive this i had to have 100psi in + and 80psi in -
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Do you put air in + first? also I had mine set up equal or +5psi more in - and they were fine.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Confusing thread. Are you expecting 150mm of travel in addition to the amount of sag?
    But you haven't actually answered SS's question.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • widge34
    1mancity2 wrote:
    Do you put air in + first? also I had mine set up equal or +5psi more in - and they were fine.

Emptied air out of -chamber and then +chamber, then i put air in +chamber until sag was right, then added same pressure into -chamber. I then tweaked pressure until sag and travel were to my liking. Basically left + as it was then removed a little air from -chamber.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • 1mancity2
    As SS and Cooldad have asked what is the total of exposed stantion, you say 30% sag and 142mm travel, is 142mm exposed or including your sag?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Do you mean the fork wont compress to the last 20mm of its travel?
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    you are getting 150mm of travel, irrespective of the amount of sag you set.
    sag is only preloading your forks so that it will be more responsive when you hit something that cause your fork to compress.
    your 30mm will allow the fork to extend into depressions in the trail or when you lift the front end therefore you will be getting your 150mm of travel
  • widge34
    1mancity2 wrote:
    As SS and Cooldad have asked what is the total of exposed stantion, you say 30% sag and 142mm travel, is 142mm exposed or including your sag?

142mm is exposed
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • 1mancity2
    your getting 150mm then with your sag, 30% is around 40mm.
  • widge34
    1mancity2 wrote:
    your getting 150mm then with your sag, 30% is around 40mm.

Yes. It is about 40mm.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • supersonic
    Try fully deflating the -ve chamber, then the +ve/Inflate the +ve to 90psi, then the -ve to the same.

Damp to suit. Go ride ;-)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Had exactly the same problem with my revelations. It is caused by having too much pressure in the negative chamber(ie more than 5-10 psi more than in the positive). Letting some air out of the negative chamber solved the problem