Genesis Abyss

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
My mate bought this as a complete bike, but just for the parts and built another bike from it. I got the frame off of him and have stuck some bits I already had on it, and bought some new(ish) bits as well. I never really cared about what my bike looked like, but I've got a bit caught up with this one. The paint on the frame is a bit soft, the dropouts are miles out of square and the ride is a bit harsh, but I absolutely love it. It's helped me improve my skills and gain confidence on more technical stuff. Pedals really well on xc and uphill and puts a smile on my face going down hill and jumping off of (small) things.

Pics:
bike1.jpg
bike2.jpg
bike3.jpg
bike4.jpg

Frame: Genesis Abyss (small)
Forks: Tora coil U-Turn
Bars: Sunline V2 riser
Stem: Race Face
Headset: WCS
Grips: Superstar oversized

Front Brake: Hope M4
Rear Brake: Hope Mono Mini
Rotors: Hope floating saw

Shifters: SLX
Front Mech: Deore
Rear Mech: SLX
Chain Device: Blackspire Stinger
Bash Guard: E-13 The Hive

Seat: WTB
Seat Post: Genesis
Seat Post Clamp: Genesis

Cranks: XT
Pedals: Sunline V1

Wheels:
Rim: Mavic XM719
Hub: Hope Pro2
Tire: Maxxis Highroller 2.35

Comments

• Nice bike, I love Genesis bikes for their simplicity and unpretentiousness.

Re the dropouts, previous to my current Latitude I had a Core 40, and the dropouts were way off square too. I ended up using cokecan shims in the dropouts and washer shims for the brake calipers just to vaguely centre the wheel and stop disc rubbing. I eventually got sick of this and bought a Latitude frame only off an eBay shop (unused, straight from a new bike that had been stripped) for £99 and transferred the components over. I'm glad I did as the steel frame is much nicer than alu to ride, however the dropouts are still not entirely square.

Do Genesis have a quality control over their frames at all?
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0