Is it illegal to Cycle and push another bike ?

MarkMcp
MarkMcp Posts: 426
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I've seen it a quite a few times where people are cycling and are also pushing another bike along by the side of them. Just wondered if there was some law out there that frowned upon that activity ??

Any thoughts ??

Cheers

Mark

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Yep I think it's called bike theft.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Pretty sure it's not illegal
    Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Probably not strictly illegal as such - but I'm sure you could be charged. How do you brake properly ? You're certainly not in full control.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yes you are. It's a doddle - hand on a hood covering your preferred brake; other hand guiding your son's bike back home. Nothing to it.

If a Jr Plod arrived with a view to improving his monthly targets I can't imagine the discussion lasting too long. The obvious thing to do would be to trackstand for the duration of the whole conversation using the other bike as support to stay upright whilst pointing out that it's not endangering anyone whatsoever, then ride off, making the decision for him.

Next.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I'm pretty sure that there isn't specific legislation but I'm equally sure that it wouldn't be too difficult to gain a prosecution for "Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling" or possibly even dangerous cycling (re definitions in the Road Traffic Act backed up evidentially by the Highway Code):

"RTA: Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling. If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

HC: 66
    You should:
    •keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    •not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    ...."

However, I think it would have to be a very quiet day for any police officer to seek prosecution unless other offences had been committed.

Bob
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its certainly a bit suspicious - I'd expect to be stopped if I was trying it, and rightly too.

And although its definitely possible to do - clearly you aren't in full control of both bikes. You can't even indicate.