My Bicycle and I

Hoopdriver
Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Hello

A couple of months ago I cheekily made use of this forum to spruik my magazine-style cycling website/blog My Bicycle and I and now I find myself in the position of having to do so again – not because I am desperate, but because a domain name change has been forced upon me and for the past few weeks anyone who might have cared to follow my posts would have found that the site was ‘unavailable’.

Now it is back up again – for good this time – under the address:

http://www.My-Bicycle-and-I.co.uk

By way of introduction for those who didn’t notice my blurb last time around, I am a long-time magazine writer (Time, National Geographic, Conde Nast, Nature) and photographer who loves bicycles and cycling but who seldom gets an opportunity to write about either in any of the publications to which I usually contribute. And so I decided to create my own magazine-style blog and give myself an outlet. I hope you will have a look and that you will find some things on there you like.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I commented last time you posted the link - it is an excellent, well-written site! The article about riding in the Antarctic is insane :)

Thanks for re-posting the link and keep on putting up new content.
  • Hoopdriver
    I will certainly be posting more.

Thanks for your kind words.

And yeah, cycling South Pole was insane but it was there, and I was there, and so it just had to be done!
  • Still an excellent blog, but while you were changing the domain name, you really should have gone with My Bicycle and Me. The 'I' thing really jars.

Good luck!
  • Hoopdriver
    Thanks for your kind words. As for the title, I don't think it jars any more than the famous Rodgers & Hammerstein musical The King and Me :-)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Thanks for your kind words. As for the title, I don't think it jars any more than the famous Rodgers & Hammerstein musical The King and Me :-)

I think My Bicycle and I works fine: "My bicycle and I would like to announce..."; "My bicycle and I travelled around Australia"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    I will certainly be posting more.

Thanks for your kind words.

And yeah, cycling South Pole was insane but it was there, and I was there, and so it just had to be done!

Great site and loved the Pole article, had a quick check for pics of the Polar bike but no luck. Could you post some pics please.
    Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
    Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
    Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
    Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
    HED V04 TT being built
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

I think My Bicycle and I works fine: "My bicycle and I would like to announce..."; "My bicycle and I travelled around Australia"

Sounds a bit like the opening line of the groom's speech in a human-bicycle wedding. 'My bicycle and I...' *pause for cheers & applause*

I think you should have switched the order around as a reference to the old standard, 'I and my shadow'...
  • Hoopdriver wrote:

Ha! Now that really does jar etc, etc, etc. Shall we dance?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoopdriver wrote:

Yeah but the 1st person isn't possessive of the king.

Me and my bike?

My bike and me?

Correct.

I and my bike - wrong.

my bike and I < on its own is also wrong. You'd need another clause after to justify the 'I'.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,341
    Mrs TWH would say you're all wrong.

It should be -"You and that damn bike"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    It's a domain name so you'd assume it's not a full sentence. Depends where it's intended to go

Look at my bicycle and me.
    My bicycle and I went to town.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Hoopdriver
    Indeed, it is not a full sentence. Depending on the sentence you were planning to write both My Bicycle and Me and My Bicycle and I could be correct. I preferred the latter - although I think I like Mrs TWH's "You and That Damn Bike" best of all!

As for the Polar Bike at the South Pole, I am trying to find pics - I have moved several times since I was at Pole and my pics of those days are in some box somewhere, either here in the UK or at one of three address in Australia! I shall keep trying to find them!
  • For the record, I never suggested 'My Bike and I...' was wrong. I just think it sounds funny. Like the Queen about to address her subjects on Christmas day.
  • Hoopdriver
    There is a bit of that, I suppose...
  • Do you have to write about the south pole - I am SO ENVIOUS and getting paid for it also.

Just finished reading Randolph Finnes book about Scott and I've now got worst journey in the world Cherry Carrard to read next.

A bit disappointing to understand that the pole is now populated.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Hoopdriver
    I've been very lucky in my career and have been to Antarctica something like 17 times now; it's one of my favourite places. Yes, the Pole has been populated since 1956 but the simple and happy truth is that if you go six or seven miles off base - far enough so that the buildings drop below the horizon - there is noting out there, nothing at all, just ice and sky. It is so still there that you can stand and hear only your heart beating. It's rather spooky, and very moving.

So much of Antarctica is like that. Ther are bases there, certainly, but once you are away from them the continent is utterly unchanged.

Some other books you might like would be The Coldest March, by Susan Solomon, a South Pole meteorologist who does a brilliant job reconstructing Scott's final trek home from the Pole and analysing what must have happened. Roland Huntford's biography of Shackleton is also brilliant (his bio of Scott is a travesty; really awful)
  • I've been very lucky in my career and have been to Antarctica something like 17 times now; it's one of my favourite places.

Youve just got to have another go rub it in!!

Being serious:-

I have read Huntfords bio of Shackelnton years ago. Also seen the film about Shackleton at the I-max.

I cant imagine being stuck on the ice, watcing your ship sinking and working out how to survive.

Ive been to some intresting place Himalayas etc but these are populated and not remote.

Yes you are lucky.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Hoopdriver
    Yes, I have been very lucky.

On the other hand, I've never been to the Himalayas and that's a place I'd like to go someday...
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    obviously 'My Bicycle and I' on its own is grammatically incorrect but in the context of a blog title I think it works fine, in fact better... I think that by incinuating the continuation of the phrase it softens the 1st person element and almost anticipates that click through to the tales within. Its the start of a story, once upon a time, my bicycle and I...

'My Bicycle and me' is so final; punctuated with a full stop, I wouldn't be inclined to read on. The story came before, the blog title a response to some posed question possibly asked initially by 'Me. Full stop'. The end.
  • Hoopdriver
    I agree with you - it was one of the reasons I liked it as a title.

I hope you'll like the stories inside!