voodoo hassle

leef82
leef82 Posts: 20
edited November 2011 in MTB general
i bought my voodoo bokor from halfords in august and im enjoying, but the problem is the mech hanger or sliding drop outs in this case, im looking for replacement/spare to carry in the back pack when im out and about, ive been back to halfords and the bloke i spoke to said he had never seen one before, they said they would contact voodoo and get back to me, they got back to me a few days later and said that they can one £21 and that it would be on the monday delivery aweek later, its been 3 weeks now and after going in several times and speaking to other people who dont seem to know what im on about im starting to get pissed off, i managed to speak to the bloke who i origanly spoke to about and all i got was ( i aint seen nothing from that supplyer come in yet, may be there having trouble getting one, we will ring you if comes in! ) attiude, so ive given up halfords not good if it had actually broken id be with out my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway ive searched all the net including both voodoo sites which dont seem to have no info on replacement parts at all !!!, i eventually found some where in america that do both sides L & R as a set but..... ( $55 + $35 for shipping :!: $90 for spare seems a joke

hmmm what to do? definatly wouldnt buy another bike from halfords or one with sliding drop outs!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try some different branches.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Voodoo are a bit crap for spares unfortunately, your Halfords could probably be chasing it harder for you but they can't give you what Voodoo can't give them at the end of the day.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • leef82
    leef82 Posts: 20
    yeah true, but if you buy a bike from a shop you expect them to be able to get spare parts no hassle especially something like a mech hanger, as for halfords in general bad customer skills!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You'd hope so but it often doesn't turn out like that... My LBS is superb but still took them 2 months to get my mmmbop mech hangers (they were out of stock everywhere). Basically the shops rely on the manufacturers and distributors.

Now, when my local Halfords was stuck for spare freehubs because of supply-stream issues, they stole one off a demo bike. But then, my Halfords is one of the best bike shops I know, freakishly.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • In the interim look at a PS universal emergency hanger I carry one in my toolbox in case someone ever needs it (I carry a spare for my bike all the time)
    These are available in the UK and retail for about £17 each, just Google "PS Universal Derailleur Hanger"
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    they may well be in short supply. get them to call cycle support at head office.
  • Mucky Nutz also do a universal mech hanger, which might be cheaper still. (I would include a link, but the site seems to be down, or there's something wrong with my internet- anyway, if you google 'Mucky Nutz' you should get their site as the top result- although I cannot be held responsible for any of the other results!)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    leef82 wrote:
    yeah true, but if you buy a bike from a shop you expect them to be able to get spare parts no hassle especially something like a mech hanger, as for halfords in general bad customer skills!!

not neccessarily, i snapped the mech hanger on my felt and no-one had any in stock, that's what you get when you buy a not so popular brand..i had to wait 6 weeks for mine so i was without a bike!!
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    I snapped the mech hanger on my Alpinestars Al-Mega DX and couldn't locate a replacement at all from anywhere (no internet back then so not an easy search) so the awesome guy in my local bike shop made me one from sheet steel and even heat treated and painted it...all for £15 :D
  • cooldad
    I bent one on of all things, a Daewoo Genius. Never even seen another one, let alone any parts. Went into my local Halfords, the guy had a look, dug around in his toolbox and happened to have one that actually fitted.
    Gave it to me for nothing.
    Some Halfords people are stars.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I bent one on of all things, a Daewoo Genius. Never even seen another one, let alone any parts

Off Topic: Just did a Google Image search on that, quite a retro beast but a fairly decent bike for its age.. I learn something new every day.. Daewoo made an MTB..
  • cooldad
    The image search pulls up this - it's my old one that has been single speeded by my youngster, complete with home made chain tensioner. It now has new(er) forks, a Hope front disc and a very fancy rear wheel and hub, and is probably going geared again. (Loads of old bits lying around to play with.)

Suprisingly light and well made frame. Good fun, like riding a big BMX bike. Had rigid forks though.

5523526414_e6fd24314b.jpg
    5522933941_49b4f43fee.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools