Flying with a B&W bike case

RickyG
RickyG Posts: 58
Morning All,

I was hoping for some advice on flying with my newly purchased bike box. I was about to book a flight to Tenerife taking the below box along.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... -picture(2)

It seems that at 13.8kg and 130cm long most airlines think it’s too big to put in the hold.
Ryanair will allow 32kg for a bike, which is fine, but a maximum dimension of 119cm.
Monarch have no maximum dimensions but only 20kg limit so unless I buy a seat for my wheels that option won’t work either.

Has anyone had experience of flying with a bike box this large?
Is it just a case of taking the excess baggage charge on the chin?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks, Rich
Strava name: Richard Gawthorpe

Comments

• polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I reckon you'll be fine. I doubt the staff on check in will be getting out the tape measure. I travel with a (big) bike bag quite a lot and it's never been measured. Will your bike bag bike weigh more then 20kg???

AL
  • RickyG
    Thanks Al. Normally I'd agree with you about it not being measured but I'm nervous about taking a risk as those check-in staff at Ryanair are a special breed...

The empty box is 13.8kg so as soon as the bike is in there I'll be getting over the 20kg limit.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Bloody hell. That's a serious box!!!!

AL
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I've flown with one of these boxes - Britannia - but that was some years back.

I'm guessing that the "budget" airlines wil find every reason to charge a premium, so it's worth checking well beforehand. It may be that overall a less "budget" airline works out cheaper for you +bike.

People do fly with large boxes - bands, pro cycling teams etc - it's just about how much you're prepared to pay.

There are some pretty good hire places in Tenerife I think - maybe worth comparing costs with cost oftaking your bike box?
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    Flown with Easyjet with people with those boxes and they were ok, none of the group (16 people) had their bike boxes measured at anytime-they just checked the weight when you checked in.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I went out to France with a box using Ryanair this year. We did get weighed at check-in and then sent over to the oversize luggage area to actually drop the bike off. I'd be nervous if I knew I was over the weight limit as they did check them in Stansted. The group I went with did have a big variety of cases though and some were enormous - looked like folded snooker tables! None had any issues though although everyone was below the weight limit IIRC.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • just come back from tenerife. Flew with Thomson from Birmingham. I have a bikeboxalan bike box. Bike + box + pump comes in at 22.5 kg.

I booked extra sports equipment. turned up at birmingham on way out and tenerife on the way back and had no problems at all.

Chris
  • renard
    renard Posts: 51
    I can't comment on whether you would get charged extra, but it will not be too big to fit in the hold.

You can get some big things in the holds - have a look at the size of the hold doors.
  • RickyG
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    It sounds like the dimensions shouldn't be a problem, I just need to ensure I'm within the weight limit. Ryanair allow 30kg for bikes so I shouldn't have a problem with that.

Thanks,
    Rich
  • nad20
    nad20 Posts: 2
    Hi guys!

I'm planning to book a flight with easyjet.

I have the B&W bike box and the total weight (with bike) is 19Kg.
    A + B + C = 235cm
    => So it corresponds to the check-in luggage conditions.

Do you think I'll have to pay the extra for bicycle or they will take it as my normal check-in luggage ?
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Just flown with BA. No issues on the way out. Coming back I was told that I was 4 kg over. Took it out. Then took it to overweight baggage despatch & put it all back in again!
    Generally airlines staff are flexible if you're cheery and friendly.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    giropaul wrote:
    I've flown with one of these boxes - Britannia - but that was some years back.

You are right there Paul, over 10yrs ago now! :wink:
    I can't comment on whether you would get charged extra, but it will not be too big to fit in the hold.

You can get some big things in the holds - have a look at the size of the hold doors.

All depends on what aircraft type you are flying on renard though. An Airbus or Boeing then yes I would agree, but some smaller outfits such as flybe operate much smaller aircraft, especially if you are only doing a very short hop.
    Do you think I'll have to pay the extra for bicycle or they will take it as my normal check-in luggage ?

Read what it says on the Easyjet website nad regarding carriage of sporting equipment. They will charge you to carry a bike as it is not normal check in luggage. I have used them several times and it is not exorbitant.

PP
  • nad20
    nad20 Posts: 2
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Read what it says on the Easyjet website nad regarding carriage of sporting equipment. They will charge you to carry a bike as it is not normal check in luggage. I have used them several times and it is not exorbitant.

PP

Yeah I asked http://www.easyjet.com and they told me I have to pay the extra. It may not be exorbitant, but the flight cost 38.- bucks (x2), and I would have to pay 120.- extra to take the bike. So +150% !!
    mini_954602Capturedcran20160806100942.png

It makes https://www.flysas.com much cheaper as you can count the bike as your check-in baggage. Which makes more sens as it's less than 20Kg and even smaller than the maximum dimensions of check-in baggage. ;)

Scandinavians are definitely the best to promote bike mobility.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Hmmn, not sure what currency you are talking in there Nad, but in the UK easyjet charge £30 each way for a bike. Seems reasonable to me. I go to Faro every year with my bike on Easyjet or Monarch and it usually comes to around £150 return for me and bike, which I don't think you can argue with, I think that is very cheap.

PP