No showers at work...

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
So, I've just landed a part time job to finance me though my A levels :D (Saturday nights cost a lot! :wink: )

I'm 17 and have only very recently bought a car. Consequently, my cycling has slipped over the last few weeks :oops:

It's 20 (hilly) miles to work, and with the weather turning nasty, taking the car would be so easy and oh so tempting, but the obvious advantages, especially the money saving ones mean cycling would be the 'better' choice.

However...there are no showers at work :( and the ride is far from a 'pootle' it's hilly amd exposed in places. (Not to mention a decent amount of idiotic drivers)

Firstly; any tips on smelling decent with no showers? :lol:

and secondly; Is it worth it at all? All the extra time it would take to 'bird bath' in the toilets and the time it would take to commute...would the dark side be better?

Cheers:)

Comments

• FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    I'm sure there was an article in one of the cycle magazines (Cycling Active I think) over the last few months with some recommendations on just this.

I may have it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out and let you know what they recommend.

Cheers,
    FJ
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Babywipes.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Babywipes
    Dry Shampoo
    Good Deodorant

or a new job that has showers
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Have a shower before you set off, fresh sweat on a clean bod doesn't smell.

Then a quick sluice down when you get to work, disabled toilets are handy!! Plus all the above. ;)
  • KevEss wrote:

Then a quick sluice down when you get to work, disabled toilets are handy!! Plus all the above. ;)

+1 - this way you'll be fine
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    KevEss wrote:

+1 - this way you'll be fine

And another +1. Had to do this before we last moved office and nobody complained.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Quite.

Take 5 mins to evaporate off the sweat a bit and cool down also helps.

Clean shirt, different trousers every day - you'll be fine.
  • It does kind of smack of "the Book of Eli" with what a lot of members are suggesting (using wet wipes to wash with). I did like the comment about "Bird bath" in the sink at work. The only issue with having a bird bath is that you typically have to take a bath towel with you to put on the floor to stop the watery mess. Thus have a radiator or a washing line to hang it out on and preferably take it home each night. Some work places do have drying rooms, or ask the janitor if he'll allow you to hang your towel up in the boiler/plant room. It'll dry much more quickly.

Nope don't do the dark side, just follow the inventiveness of what has been said here +1 for trying anyway!!

Regards

Paul
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    All of the above. 5 mins or so to cool of, off to the disabled loo with a face flannel, a tub of squirty soap and a towel, and give yourself a good clean down followed by a squirt of something manly - Eau d'GT85 or similar so that colleagues know that you're hard enough to bike in, even in winter.

Side issue is what to do with sweaty togs. I leave mine drying in my office but was gutted last week when a lady colleague in for a chat etc 'just mentioned' that there was a bit of an aroma as a result of them. Any tips? I can't put damp togs onto go home; they're clean for every journey in to the office. Space is limited and there are no hangers / cupboards / loo space that I'd trust my togs to still be in when I leave. Any suggestions?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2011
    Febreeze?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CiB wrote:
    All of the above. 5 mins or so to cool of, off to the disabled loo with a face flannel, a tub of squirty soap and a towel, and give yourself a good clean down followed by a squirt of something manly - Eau d'GT85 or similar so that colleagues know that you're hard enough to bike in, even in winter.

Side issue is what to do with sweaty togs. I leave mine drying in my office but was gutted last week when a lady colleague in for a chat etc 'just mentioned' that there was a bit of an aroma as a result of them. Any tips? I can't put damp togs onto go home; they're clean for every journey in to the office. Space is limited and there are no hangers / cupboards / loo space that I'd trust my togs to still be in when I leave. Any suggestions?

I hang mine in a spare cupboard and have a plug in air freshener for when it's a bit ripe, I've also added a heater which turns it into a drying room when needs must.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    KevEss wrote:

+1 again

The trick is to have a good system for folding and transporting work clothes so you don't look wrinkled and scruffy. The washing part is really easy.
  • Cant recall where I heard it but get some Isopropyl alchohol and add some winter green or something that gives it a little lit of odour - some herbal infusion like eucalyptus. Meant to clean up nicely if you saok baby wipes with it. Witch Hazel has also been suggested. Dont know what mix to recommend but you can buy 500ml online from some pet food shop.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • CiB wrote:

as chasey says - febreeze should do the trick. but also beware of cross association of bad odours being your kit not of course mr stinky in the office who uses same shirt for 2-3 days and doesn't always shower. I've had people says things before and I've shown them it wasn't me the hard way - the other chap wasn't happy but I was in the clear.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    No showers here so I just give myself a few minutes to cool off and then have a proper stand up wash in the toilets with shower gel ! Put a towel down on the floor first as said above.Then deodorant and aftershave,shirt and tie on and I'm good to go.Probably the freshest smelling person here :)
    Remember to leave it 5 minutes before you wash or you wont have cooled down and will get the 'second sweat' in your nice clean work shirt .
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Febreeze sounds like a plan. I can't blame it on anyone else - I have my own office, sole occupants being me plus bike.

Ta.
  • rick_chasey
    CiB wrote:
    Febreeze sounds like a plan. I can't blame it on anyone else - I have my own office, sole occupants being me plus bike.

Ta.

Bikes can smell too.

Think of all the sh!t your handlebar tape soaks up.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I held my gloves in my mouth whilst I was locking the office up the other night and couldnt believe the smell !!
    Chucked them in the washing machine and they are now lemony fresh :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Another vote for disabled khazi, liquid soap and a flannel.
  • Re smell, the biggest culprits I find are helmet, gloves and top/jersey/wharrever. Shoes can be a bit stinky, especially if they've got wet. Not much you can do about most of those, but as far as top goes I've started using a merino base layer as my jersey/top and I have to say it's pretty odour-free - and I am about as sweaty a person as it's possible to be. Not sure if that'll work so well in the summer, mind.

Edit: I had the burd who sits next to me complaining about my bag once as well, I keep it tucked away on the other side of the desk from her now... :oops:
  • davmaggs wrote:
    The trick is to have a good system for folding and transporting work clothes so you don't look wrinkled and scruffy. The washing part is really easy.

I used to drive in on the first day with clothes for the week, but I did have secure lockers, then bike the other 4 days. Fridays I'd take my HUGE bag and bring in all home.

+1 for the bird bath. Liquid soap and I used to use a damp tea towel to reach all of my back.

As for drying out wet clothes, talk nicely to the person who has access to the boiler room. Perfect drying room.
    CiB wrote:
    followed by a squirt of something manly - Eau d'GT85 or similar

I'd been "working" in the Shed cleaning some bike bits. Came in to the house and The Wife says: "Have you got new aftershave on?"

Mind WD-40 doesn't have the same affect.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.