Cardiff - a cycling city?

EssexSuffolk
EssexSuffolk Posts: 112
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Any Cardiff commuters here?

I may have to move to Cardiff from Bristol for work, but have never been, so would welcome some random opinions as to what its like: is it an enjoyable cycling city? is it flat? does it feel cosmopolitan?! What is it like as a place to live?

I know these are pretty broad questions, but surely that's what forums are designed for: random opinions on random topics!

Thanks!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Paging Benno68...

Don't live or commute there, but I'm from just outside and have ridden around it a bit. Benno lives and commutes there.

Easy place to cycle round. There's the Taff Trail which can bring you out right in town, by the Castle and Angel Hotel, or, taking the cycle lane on the other side of the river, it runs between the river and North Road (which brings you out the other side of the Castle).

Where you looking at living?

It's an ace city; has a great vibe, and some lovely areas to live. Very easy to ride out to the sticks too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    The centre is nice, there's a good cycling community (good SS and fixed scene), a couple of excellent LBS's and the bay area is nicely gentrified. Definitely a decent town.

Could go worse easily.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Learn how to say " awright mate" and you will blend in like a born and bred Cardiffian.....
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Firgot ta mention, unless you head north past Tonywineglass it's a millpond compared to Brizzle.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Encouraging words, thanks all, seriously.

Not sure where in Cardiff I'll be living. If I wanted a high street with a few bars, coffee shops, the kind of upcoming trendy area where prices aren't ridiculous (basically like south Bristol!), where would one look? I'll possibly be commuting to Penarth, so I'm guessing somewhere in the south/west.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Now, see, I'm from Penarth. Where might you be commuting to?

Pontcanna has a nice high-street feel, and it's right next to Llandaf Fields. It's also only 30 mins from Penarth by bike.

Whitchurch High Street also has that feel, and that's only another 20 mins away by bike. It'll be cheaper than Pontcanna.

Penarth is lovely, but not exactly hip-n-happenin'; it's more suited to families.

Also have a look down the Bay area - see Simon's post above. It's a ride across the Barrage and up into Penarth via the Marina, but is also a do-able walk into the City centre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I live, work and commute in Cardiff so happy to share what I can.

Is it a cycling city - well kinda. There's plenty of cyclists but to be honest the roads are not very commuter friendly. If you do move here, for commuting get to know the back roads and use the dedicated cyle paths (taff trail, Barrage, Bute park). There has been a push going on by the Council and Sustrans to improve things but the roads are always going to be too busy and full of cars, and painted on cycle lanes just aren't cutting it at the moment. Having said all that - I cycle up and down North road - the main drag into town from the North of the city and have only ever had one altercation in 10 years!

Is it flat? Pretty much in and around the city centre - but this is Wales 'butt', valleys, mountains and hills are not too far away. So for commuting you'll be fine, going further afield there's plenty of bumps to keep you entertained if that's your bag. Not to mention an abundance of cracking mountain biking a stone's throw away. There are some active cycle clubs so again, if that's your bag I'd spin along to one of those.

Cosmopolitan - well it's improving but I'd still say Brizzle is better for variety. It's a much smaller city than what you are used to, but there's stuff for everyone. There are lots of students in the City with the big Uni's so much more life in the city when they are around.

As a place to live - As cjcp points out Whitchurch and Pontcanna are the most popular places outside of the city centre for young professionals. Cathays and Roath are studentville but full of life. City Centre and the Bay have an abundance of flats and will be on top of things with great access to most places. There are plenty more places, so PM me if you need more opinion. To be honest, it's a very compact city so wherever you choose to live you're not going to be stuck for getting to Penarth.