Spiuk Elite Winter Jacket

the_fuggler
the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
With apologies in advance if this has been asked before, but with the search down, I can't find anything relevant. Has anyone got a Spiuk Elite jacket? Any good? Available quite cheap (c. 95 quid) on Wiggle at the moment.
FCN 3 / 4

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You can always use the awesome power of google to overcome the lacking search facility - specify the required search location using "site:"
    e.g. On google page, enter search terms spiuk elite site:bikeradar.com
    I'd been looking at this brand, prompted by the Wiggle mailshot, but concluded that with few reviews & mediocre pricing, I'd look elsewhere.
  • the_fuggler
    Thanks - on both counts!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DrLex
    You're welcome, chap; sorry not to have direct experience of the brand. Must admit,if I were in the market for one, the Mavic echappée and inferno would both be on my list. As it is, I've spent so much this year on kit, I'll be sticking with my ancient Lowe Alpine winterstopper fleece as a top layer.
  • the_fuggler
    I'm tempted by the Gore Xenon SO. Seems to get rave reviews, but expensive. Mavic - saw one of their jackets get an excellent review recently too. Guess I need to try a few and see which fits best. Needs to have room for a little Christmas ale too...
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DrLex wrote:
    ....the Mavic inferno would both be on my list. ....

+1 I've tried many different winter jackets over the years from Assos Airblock, Castelli Radiation, Decathlon to flease and jacket etc and without doubt the warmest and best jacket is the Inferno. Had it on all last winter even down to the -10c at 7am. Can't recommend it highly enough.
    Commuter: Litespeed Sienna, DA 7800
    Sunday Best: Cervelo S2 DA 7900
    Winter Hack: Cannondale Badboy discs for those really snowy commutes
    Spare: Trek 1200 (ali) with 9sd 105
    HED V04 TT being built
  • the_fuggler
    Good to hear. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the recommendation!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • the_fuggler
    Me again. Looks like the Echappée is the one for me. I'm unlikely to go cycling when it's -5 and I get quite hot quite quickly anyway (obviously due to the 30mph average that I put down whenever I'm out... :shock: ) so the Inferno would probably be a bit much.

I tried the Gore earlier. It's very nice, but it doesn't quite fit me properly. Definitely worth a look though.

I have to say, the only thing putting me off the Mavic is the camo trim. I'm sure I'll get over it.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DrLex
    Last time I looked, Slane cycles in Belfast were the keenest on price, but then I want the red (orange) one!
  • the_fuggler
    Westbrook Cycles are slightly more expensive, but they do have red in stock....

Having trouble getting mine signed off by the CFO, which suggests a Christmas present might be in the offing! :)
    FCN 3 / 4
  • DrLex
    Spookily, the head of the Domestic Committee has only just waved a White stuff catalogue under my nose with a £160 winter coat marked & underlined. Good luck & report back on your experiences (sizing too)!