Car mounted bike carriers

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,

I have a 03 plate Rover 25 five door car without a towbar and I am looking to buy a bike carrier for it.

I only really need to carry one bike on it and I do not want to spend ages strapping the bike to it, basically I want to get out my car unclip it from the rack and go. Then when I get back get off my bike clip it on and drive off.

Can anyone help with this? At the moment I am putting the bike in the boot of my car which is a pain especially if I have to take the kids anywhere because I have to drop the front wheel off before I can do any thing.

Thanks,

alamb200

Comments

• JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Probably not going to be any help to you but I love my towbar mounted Thule rack. It takes less than a minute to mount the rack to the car and it's dead easy to mount the bikes themselves. I used to have a strap on type rack but that was real pain to get on the car and I don't like the way they put pressure on the rear screen (never actually heard of one breaking the rear window but guess it does happen?)

Know you haven't got a towbar but I picked mine up off the bay for £15 and it took a couple of hours to fit - no real skill needed.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    After using a cheap strap on type, ended up scratching the rear screen. I'll be looking to add a towbar and get a tow bar mounted rack.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Hi,
    Are you saying you bought your towbar off ebay and fitted it yourself or that you bought the carrier from ebay?
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    Sorry, towbar came from Ebay and yes fitted it myself.

The carrier came via an Ebay shop and was new, think it was £120 including number plates, light boardb, hitch lock etc. As I said it's a doddle to fit and holds the bikes nice and securley. Even converted a couple of friends who have seen how quickly I can get it fitted and ready to drive off !
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Saris Bones
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Funny, that is the one I have looked at the most.

I am waiting for an email back from Saris to see if they will fit my car.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Saris Bones is good, but it can still damage the car, is a faff to fit, AND you will still need towing electrics and a lighting board (as your number plate or lights will be obscured by the bike).

Depending on where you are planning to leave the car, it's hard to secure the bones to a car, so there is also a risk of someone pinching your carrier, or you have to faff around removing it, and refitting it when you return.

IMHO roof mounted might be the best option for a quick on / off.

Rufus.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Why do you need to take the front wheel off?

I've got myself into this routine. Need the children in the car on Mondays & Tuesdays -> boot mounted rack. Makes using the boot difficult though. Wed, Thu, Fri, Fold the back seat down, transport the bike inside the car.

I've have also got a roof mounted bike carrier - it's undergoing repairs at the moment. Apart from being able to use the boot there's no real advantage to a roof mount as far as I can see.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    JimboM wrote:
    Probably not going to be any help to you but I love my towbar mounted Thule rack. It takes less than a minute to mount the rack to the car and it's dead easy to mount the bikes themselves. I used to have a strap on type rack but that was real pain to get on the car and I don't like the way they put pressure on the rear screen (never actually heard of one breaking the rear window but guess it does happen?)

Know you haven't got a towbar but I picked mine up off the bay for £15 and it took a couple of hours to fit - no real skill needed.

+1 ... it's easy, quick, convenient (you can still use the boot) and economical (lower fuel use vs roof mounted).
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • I have to take the wheel off because the car is not big enough to take a child in the back and leave the seats up so I have to lower one seat and take a wheel off. Its a double pain because I do not have quick release wheels and so have to carry a spanner every where with me.

What do you recommend as far as a roof mount goes?
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    alamb200 wrote:
    I have to take the wheel off because the car is not big enough to take a child in the back and leave the seats up so I have to lower one seat and take a wheel off. Its a double pain because I do not have quick release wheels and so have to carry a spanner every where with me.

What do you recommend as far as a roof mount goes?

Wouldn't you have to carry a spanner anyway for when the PF strikes?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • pf?
  • gonna gues - Puncture Fairy
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    pf = p*&nct^re fairy

Sorry I misread your original post. You are putting it in the boot but have to take a wheel off. FWIW it doesn't take long to put a boot mounted carrier on once you've done it a few times (six straps) and I leave mine a few inches from where I park my car. The roof mounted one does live on the roofbars so that is a distinct advantage, however startup costs for you are in the region of £70 for bars and £30+ for a carrier. I find it a struggle putting a bike on the roof of a car in the dark when its parked on a gradient, otherwise its ever so quick.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    alamb200 wrote:
    pf?

yes she who's name must not be spoken aloud.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3