Car racks

Marlow
Marlow Posts: 31
edited November 2011 in MTB general
When visiting trail centres/forests etc by car do you leave your rack attached to the car while you're away or do you take it off and lock it safely inside?
Having just spent the best part of a ton on a decent rack it suddenly dawned on me that it's quite vulnerable to theft/vandalism while I'm away having a blast!

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Lads I go with take them off and put them away.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I leave mine on but it's a bitch of a job to get off anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bikehawk
    Bikehawk Posts: 102
    Have a Thule roof rack which has locks on all attachment points to the car and a Thule 591 ProRide bike carrier which also locks :D . I've left both on the car for months with no problems even when parked in somewhat dodgy spots :o . This will deter the opportunist thief but if they want it then they'll get it no matter what. :evil:
  • i take mine off and put it in the boot
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I have a Saris Bones and take it off and put it in the car, it's far too quick to take off the car somebody could nick it in less than a minute!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • It takes me on average 2 hours to get round an average trail centre...if someone can manage to take mine off in 2 hours then they deserve it..takes me about a week to take it off, and put it on
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I have always left mine on but you lot are making me paranoid.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I've lockable Thules, never worried and at trail centers you'd be unlucky to be singled out from everyone elses racks so I personally never bothered removing apart from the little plastic ties for the wheels.
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Always leave mine on
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • I have a lockable Thule and I have to say it spends weeks on the car, much to my other halves annoyance :lol: (It only fts her car hehe)
  • Got Thule Aerobar with a pair of Thule 591 carriers, all locked with two different keys [one for Aerobar, one for 591] in case someone has a key that fits.
    Also have a boot mounted rack for the company car, but I don't remove that. Fortunately Cannock is quite safe during daylight hours on weekdays and weekends
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Richie63 wrote:
    I've lockable Thules, never worried and at trail centers you'd be unlucky to be singled out from everyone elses racks so I personally never bothered removing apart from the little plastic ties for the wheels.
    Never seen anyone trying to nick a lockable roofrack, or even those plastic wheel tie things either. Mine sits on the driveway overnight and has never been touched. Famous last words...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Always left mine on - lockable thule kit on top of my A4 avant. Got taken a few weeks ago off the drive, along with the car though :x
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At a trail centre, rather than nick the rack it's more likely they can watch you load up the car at the end of the day, follow you home and nick the bike(s) at their leisure. Ideally just as you pop in the house before unloading, or from the shed/garage when you're out at work, where they can work out of view.

;)
  • Stevo_666
    deadkenny wrote:
    At a trail centre, rather than nick the rack it's more likely they can watch you load up the car at the end of the day, follow you home and nick the bike(s) at their leisure. Ideally just as you pop in the house before unloading, or from the shed/garage when you're out at work, where they can work out of view.

;)
    They'd be following me for a bl00dy long way given my nearest trail centre is over 35 miles away :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Petrol cost of a 35 mile trip to nick bikes costing thousands. Probably worth it, and they've had a chance to assess the value of the bike on the way too.

I don't know if it's true or just an urban myth, but I've heard stories of certain bike thieves who are prolific around Bristol doing exactly this with places like Afan and Cwmcarn. Follow the bike tourists on their way home on the M4 and strike at an opportune moment. A long journey and they're more likely to stop at a service station too which is a good chance for them.
  • Stevo_666
    Maybe worth it financially, but if anyone tried to follow me that far close enough not to lose track of me then I'm pretty sure I'd spot them, I'm quite wary when i've got a bike in the boot worth more than my car.
  • I have one of the Pendle towbar mounted bar set ups. It takes three seconds to dismantle it. Not worried so much about someone nicking it, as some oik taking the retaining pin and hiding it, or parking one of the bars high up in a tree for a laugh. I always put it isnside the car. There are many stories about bike thieves following people home with a view to pinching their rides at their leisure. An occupational hazard.
  • bragawd
    bragawd Posts: 160
    with my rack i tend to leave it on in the more popular places and take it off in the more isolated places... even if its less likely to be seen by people who and on the rob....
  • Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    I have a Pendle tow bar rack, i leave it on but lock to the tow bar bracket with a cable cycle lock. also replaced the thumb screws with allen key cap screws.