SRAM Red Brake cable adjuster threaded itself

roadiesean
roadiesean Posts: 577
edited January 2015 in Workshop
Anyone had experience of this ? I was just doing the cable up and its completely jammed itself on, wasn't even turning it that hard, but its stuck as a stuck thing.

Any thoughts on what I might do to sort ???

Thanks
Sean

Comments

• Do you mean the barrel adjuster or the clamp bolt that grips the cable?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Threaded itself? This is a new engineering phenomena to me, perhaps a bit like Just-Riding-Along?
    99.9999% due to operator error I'm afraid, suck and it up, eat some humble pie and admit that you've borked-it and the damage will probably be less expensive than you thought.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Barrel adjuster and yeah I get the "just riding along" thing, but this really was one of those things that came from nowhere. The problem is I don't know how the hell to get the thing out now, do I just bite the bullet and grip the barrel with pliers and force the thing.......

I tried the pliers over the plastic cover and that didn't work the plastic cover just kept rolling around......

HELP ! :oops:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It will be easier to do if you release the cable tension by downshifting fully, or even by releasing the cable clamp bolt on the mech itself.
  • JPJ72
    JPJ72 Posts: 2
    I have actually just experienced the same ting on my 1yr old 2012 front brake... :-(
    Does anonyme know of SRAM acknowledge the problem as a warranty issue?

For the jamming itself I suspekt that sweater from ridning indoors on hometrainer, gould be the reason. The adjuster on my brake actually broke in half and stripped the nylon "nut" trying to loosen the adjuster bolt...
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Still not completely sure what you mean by 'threaded', but it sounds as if the screw has sheared if the plastic gripper is spinning freely. Any vid/photo?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    JPJ72 wrote:
    I have actually just experienced the same ting on my 1yr old 2012 front brake... :-(
    Does anonyme know of SRAM acknowledge the problem as a warranty issue?

For the jamming itself I suspekt that sweater from ridning indoors on hometrainer, gould be the reason. The adjuster on my brake actually broke in half and stripped the nylon "nut" trying to loosen the adjuster bolt...

I doubt it seeing as this is a 4 year old thread!
  • JPJ72
    JPJ72 Posts: 2
    Ham the problem however is still very present....