Rubbish trails

goshow
goshow Posts: 61
edited November 2011 in Routes
Apart from the classifieds this is my first forum post. I spend a lot of time reading other posts but rarely feel the need to start a thread.

Dalby is my favorite / local haunt and I try to get up there at least twice a month. I went last Sunday and couldn'help but notice the amount of crap that folks have left behind on the trails. I'm certainly no eco friendly new age cyclist but do people really not give a monkeys about the countryside and the trails?

Now I'm asuming that the folks riding the red route aren't just your average joe turning up with the family / friends for a cycle. So why do folks feel the need to sling their power-gel wrappers, lucozade bottles and other non biodegradable crap into the undergrowth and sides of the trails?

Some poor sod has to collect it, generally me as I ride rounds but I an only carry so much. :x

My opinion has always been; If you can carry it in full then you can certainly carry it out empty.

Any other toughts and opinions on this and other trails around?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Selfish people. The odd banana skin or apple core is fine if it's chucked well into the bushes, but anything else should be taken out.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • goshow
    goshow Posts: 61
    Couldn't agree more Bails, apple cores and banana skins are actually helpful to the insect population in the undergrowth.

I'd just like to add that this post cerainly isn't a stab at any of the forestry comission staff who do a fantastic job of maintaining the trails around the country, just a dig at mindless folks who decide its upto somebody else to tidy up after them.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited November 2011
    goshow wrote:
    ...just a dig at mindless folks who decide its upto somebody else to tidy up after them.
    The problem is they won't be reading this forum and even if they do, they won't behave any differently.

Cannock Chase is the same as Dalby and not just on the official routes - there is litter off-piste which really makes you think what kind of person takes the time and trouble to ride their bike on a remote trail in the woods and then discard Lucozade bottles and gel wrappers on the way. I've taken Monster Energy cans back that I've found in the woods but a couple of weeks later there's some more - almost as if the same people are riding out just to drop litter.

The only thing you can do is pick it up but as you say there's a limit to how much you can carry.
  • Its sadly a reflection of the society we live in today.

The general population is slowly turning into a lazy bunch of scum that don't give a shit.

Some of the stuff you hear numbskulls talking about on the trails bigging themselves up to their mates about drinking 10 pints and flattening someone. It's sad :(