Martin Johnson resigns

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
And they couldn't get Shaun Edwards from Wales. Not looking very good at the moment for England.

Wonder who they might approach to replace Johnson. Apparently Graham Henry said post RWC he'd be interested in a role with England. Can't see the RFU going for that. I think Nick Mallett would be a good choice, but can't see the RFU going for that either.

Place your bets...
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Agree Mallett would be good, but I'm fairly sure Rob Andrew doesn't like him, so it looks unlikely. Real shame about Shaun Edwards. Not so keen on Graham Henry, tbh.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Sir Clive, your stage awaits!
  • Whoever the new guy is, I just hope he's able to bring in a totally new staff - we need a clean break from the past. With Rob Andrew presiding over matters, we'll no doubt have the usual compromise with some hapless manager being drafted in to work with the same old muppets, and another few years of clueless rubbish on the pitch.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Was it really necessary for Johnson to go?

I was quite happy him keeping the role for several more years.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I don't think Henry is a possible replacement, reading what he's said in interviews he's looking for something more than head coach / team manager role. If Andrew goes then maybe....

I think possibles are Jim Mallinder, Richard Cockerill, Dean Richards, Conor O'Shea, John Kirwin and Nick Mallett.

Of these either Kirwan and Mallett would get my vote but they are not English and I'm not convinced the RFU will take that step. Mallinder has put himself forward and is doing good work at Northampton and is not a bad choice. Cockerill would keep the Leicester Mafia thing going so is likely to be popular with the RFU but I'm not sure what he'll bring that Johnson did not. Richard's ban is coming to an end, he's a good choice and good coach but coming back from his bloodgate ban straight into the England job might be a bit much for some to swallow. O'Shea has publicly stated he's committed to Harlequins for a very long time which is fine by me.

If I was a betting man I'd go with the RFU choosing Mallinder.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Sorry forgot Woodward, Like Henry I don't think he'll want a Team Manager role. So if Andrew goes....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sketchley wrote:
    Richard's ban is coming to an end, he's a good choice and good coach but coming back from his bloodgate ban straight into the England job might be a bit much for some to swallow.

Very clever!

It was intentionally clever. Wasn't it? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    ketsbaia wrote:
    Agree Mallett would be good, but I'm fairly sure Rob Andrew doesn't like him, so it looks unlikely. Real shame about Shaun Edwards. Not so keen on Graham Henry, tbh.

I'm not sure Andrew should still even be in the job.. ok he was pushed into the Johnson appointment but still.

Mallet and Henry do seem to be the names bandied about a lot at the mo
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sad that Johnson felt he had to go, but I wonder how much pressure he was under over his seeming acceptance of the players shenanigans.
    It seems apparent that he was a much stronger Captain on the pitch, than he is a Manager off it!!

Arise Sir WOODWARD - your country needs you.........
    Regards from The Slapster, Cornwall, UK

Chronologically inept since 2026

Who Rides Cubes:
    On the road - 2011 Cube Streamer
    On the trail - 2012 Cube Elite Super HPC Pro
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    As an impartial Welshman :wink: it would be interesting to see what Woodward could do, I always had a nagging doubt that Woodward's England team was so good it picked itself, as all good teams do !!!!
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • Damn. Mallett's not interested.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    It seems apparent that he was a much stronger Captain on the pitch, than he is a Manager off it!!
    quote]

This - I think overall he is in charge of the players and they let him down - but unfortunatly it's his head that has to go in that situation. As a player he would have put the fear of god into them and no one would have put a toe out of line. Josh Lewsey or Mike Tindall could have never done that. It's a dissapointing end to those two careers (Lewsey in particular for me!)

For whatever reason, the players were also so stifled that they simply could nt think for themselves on the pitch any more. I said at the time that I think a whole new set of coaches are needed and that he needs to take more of a back seat, but that his ego would never accpet that and, therefore (unfortuntaly) he has to go. I hope he goes and takes up a coaching place with a smaller team and works his way back up, learning all the time. In 8 years, he could be the perfect man!

Oh and if the whole RFU could go with him, that would be stirling, In an ideal world they'd take the UCI with them too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Greg66 wrote:
    Damn. Mallett's not interested.
    can't imagine anyoen of any repuputation will be interested - Reporting to Rob Andrew and having the RFU board in the background. Its a scenario anyone with a choice of jobs would avoid.

It will be Jim Mallinder by default
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    You know the thing that pisses me off most about all this...

Jeremy "Sunshine Bottom" Guscott preaching all over any TV that'll let him on it. Can't stand the guy :lol:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02