Woman Down - Upper Thames Street

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Thankfully she was sitting up being seen to.

Here: google map

Basically the left turn before Southwark bridge going west.

Looked like the skip lorry was turning left into Bell Wharf Lane, bike close to the rear wheels, police attending.

She's very lucky to be alive, it had all the ingredients of a fatal accident :(

I'm always very wary around that junction as a left indicating LGV could be turning in there or left at the bridge. Also because of the traffic you never know if a vehicle is going to cross over in front of you at the keep clear section.

Hope she's back on a bike soon
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Sounds like a narrow escape - as you say, all the ingredients were there for a tradegy. Hope that she is OK.
  • I ride it every day, it can be dodgy because you have the cycle lane going up the inside of a queue of traffic for the Southwark Bridge junction, and you can be left hooked by vehicles turning left either for Bell Wharf Lane or Southwark Bridge. Additionally the queuing traffic often leaves a gap for vehicles coming the other way to turn right into Bell Wharf Lane, these can come as a surprise if you are happily filtering up the inside in the cycle lane.

I tend to ignore the cycle lane and filter up the middle of the two lanes.

Hope the lady is OK, sounds like she is lucky.
    <a>road</a>
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I used to work around the corner. There's a waste processing facility in that building where the rubbish is processed and loaded onto barges. Likely to be a lot of bin lorries and the like going in there. Not a nice stretch of road by any means.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    I tend to ignore the cycle lane and filter up the middle of the two lanes.

I would do the same, but I turn left at Southwark Bridge...I'm quite happy to turn on pootle mode, and increase sensitivity of my fcukwit alarm on the approach to both those roads, I don't risk flying across the keep clear gap while the traffic is static or going up the inside of anything turning left, though I've seen many who do :roll:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs