Cycling through rough parts of town

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
My college campus is located in the heart of Leigh Park, once the largest council estate in Europe.
I've recently started a part-time course and only need to go in once weekly, but thus far I've suffered a slow puncture on EVERY SINGLE ONE of (the three) trips I've made to college.
This is unusual because I have been riding bikes for over a decade (including working as a bike messenger for a couple of years), and before starting at this college I could have counted the number of punctures I'd got on one hand.

I'm not really sure whether it's the appalling condition of the roads or the broken glass that's scattered all over Leigh Park (especially in the bike lanes :roll: ), but that place is eating up my tyres and my inner tubes, not to mention pissing me off and making me late.

So I guess the point to this post was to ask if any of you have any tips on not getting punctures in the rough parts of town?

Comments

• I assume a detour isn't possible, as college is in the middle of this cess pit?
    Time for a pair of those bands to go inside your tyres?
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Schwalbe marathon plus tyres and don't ride in cycle lanes. Worked for me.
  • Haha, "cess pit" may be a little harsh, but yeah unfortunately there's zero chance of a detour. What do you call these bands that go inside your tyres?
    Those Schwalbe marathon plus tyres look pretty heavy duty - gutted now that I recently got some Gatorskins for my commuter.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    You mention 'slow' puncture, how slow is slow?

If, as you sumise, the punctures are caused by glass ingress then surely the tube would deflate quickly. Could it be the valve that's at fault?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It seems every town and city has a housing development that the locals claim either is or was the largest council estate in Europe.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    No, OURS has the largest council estate in Europe and so does my wife.
    Peter
  • plowmar wrote:
    You mention 'slow' puncture, how slow is slow?

If, as you sumise, the punctures are caused by glass ingress then surely the tube would deflate quickly. Could it be the valve that's at fault?

A couple seemed to go flat slow enough that I don't notice they're doing so until they are completely flat. There was no dramatic hiss or anything. One I only noticed was flat when I went to leave college.
    Fairly sure it's not the valves since i've had the flats in multiple inner tubes from different manufacturers
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Schwalbe Marathon Kevlars are a good compromise if you want good protection without all the weight of the M+.

However, my main point would be that I agree with the comments about tracing the puncture. If you haven't found the thorn, etc., that caused the first one then it is likely the offending item is still lodged in your tyre.

I would get the old tubes, inflate and place in water and trace the fault, all the same place? I would then check the tyre under a decent light.

I would only buy new tyres if I had to (and was certain that it would help reduce further issues) and I would definitely fix all the tubes using a kit, so total expense is kept low.

Apols if you have done all that, btw.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Also check the rim for Burr's.

a mate lost 5 tubes in a week and didn't understand it but managed to survive a day and a half on a tour until half way through the midle of nowhere he dissappears off the back eventually reappeaing pushing the bike.
    Too much of a coincidence I grabbed the wheel off him half way throguh the change and found a huge burr in the rim within seconds.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • nwallace wrote:
    Also check the rim for Burr's.

a mate lost 5 tubes in a week and didn't understand it but managed to survive a day and a half on a tour until half way through the midle of nowhere he dissappears off the back eventually reappeaing pushing the bike.
    Too much of a coincidence I grabbed the wheel off him half way throguh the change and found a huge burr in the rim within seconds.

Good tip. Had a few punctures myself that way due to roughening-up of the alloy rim, itself due to a puncture after I once had to ride the last mile to work on a flat (stopping to fix it would've made me even later for work!!). A quick once-over with emery paper seems to do the trick.

Comedy edit: Leigh Park isn't all that far from a certain mail order firm's head office. Therefore it's clearly Wiggle's fault. Again.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal