Ride to Work / Halfords

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited November 2011 in MTB general
My ride to work scheme is with Halfords...and the window is opening again. I seem to recall there was an affiliation - (perhaps with Leisure Lakes?) that enabled me to get something other than a Halfords stock bike.

Not sure if this is perhaps specific to my own scheme, or whether I'm speaking total nonsense - but is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Or you could pay for a bike for yourself and stop making tax payers pay more.
  • Mccraque
    surely the fact that I am a tax payer means that I can take advantage of the scheme in the first place?
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    MM, How do tax payers pay more?

Mccraque, to answer you question. Leisure Lakes do take Halfords CTW vouchers. It's only on bikes at full RRP, sale discounts don't apply.
  • The Cycle to work scheme is a government run fund to get people who wouldn't be on bikes onto them. Serious bikers using it to just buy toys for themselves is just wrong in my opinion. Since it is government funded the money comes from tax payers, and I see so many people just using the vouchers to get free bikes who already have a few bikes, and only want to use it because of the fact they can get something for free. Makes other people pay more for no use at all if you ask me.
  • RevellRider
    I think you are confused in how the cycle to work scheme is ran. I'd go and read up on it before you spout such useless knowledge
  • Mccraque
    Komplete Unsen - as you may say in St Polten.

So...I live close enough to work to ride - a feasible alternative to driving...and you are telling me that i should not be taking advantage as I like bikes and have one in the garage already? I don't particularly want to leave the Zesty outside work for 9 hours a day.
  • Mccraque wrote:
    Komplete Unsen - as you may say in St Polten.

So...I live close enough to work to ride - a feasible alternative to driving...and you are telling me that i should not be taking advantage as I like bikes and have one in the garage already? I don't particularly want to leave the Zesty outside work for 9 hours a day.

LOL, what does that mean?

Maybe my understanding of it came from bad knowledge, how does it actually work then?
  • Mccraque
    MM, How do tax payers pay more?

Mccraque, to answer you question. Leisure Lakes do take Halfords CTW vouchers. It's only on bikes at full RRP, sale discounts don't apply.

And thanks for the reply Revelrider
  • RevellRider
    The cycle to work scheme is an incentive to get people cycling to work by giving them tax breaks on cycle purchases. Your employer signs up to the scheme, you choose a bike and your employer 'gives' you a voucher for payment of the bike. You then lease the bike back off your employer paying for it in a salary sacrifice which goes out before your tax and N.I if deducted, thus meaning you pay less tax and N.I. The EU has recently ruled that you now have to pay VAT on your salary sacrifice so the savings aren't as big as before.

When you hire lease agreement comes to an end (usually 12 or 18 months) you have the option of either giving the bike back to your employer, continue using it or buying it off your employer for a 'Fair Price'

No problem Mccraque
  • Mccraque
    unsinn even..

it works by 1/12 of the bike price being used to reduce your gross salary each month a year - thus reducing the amount of tax you pay on your wage.

and the shop still gets a voucher for the full amount. Am sure there is an admin charge levied on them - some even pass it on to the consumer - but probably for a large increase in turnover.
  • Really dont see the issue with bike to work and anything that allows people to get on a bike is great and end of the day if it allows people who already bike the chance to get a cheap toy then great as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I pay a shithouse full of tax. Don't claim any benefits, so if I can get a bit back I will.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I pay a shithouse full of tax. Don't claim any benefits, so if I can get a bit back I will.

Amen to that!
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Or you could pay for a bike for yourself and stop making tax payers pay more.

This from a person who doesn't even live in the UK !!! :roll: (assuming your profile is correct)
    You almost sound jealous that we have such a scheme ?

I'm glad that such a scheme is available, if not I'd be walking to work each day, hell, since getting my CTW bike I've found a new hobby in life, much cheaper than my old hobby and an added bonus of getting fit whilst enjoying the "hobby" :D

As cooldad said......I pay TAX and NI, and have done since leaving school some 24+ years ago, it's about time they GIVE summit back to me !!!

6 months left of the scheme and already looking at next BIKE because I can !!!!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'm a 50% tax payer - does that mean I am subsidising everyone else who is on the lower rates of tax?

Personally I think the scheme should go and be replaced with VAT back (of up to say £250), then everyone can enjoy it.

Even though I am probably the perfect candidate to save money, I don't think I really did save much as the scheme I was in, was run in April, so bikes were at premium prices. I could have bought the same bike in the sale for cash + a bit of haggling for around £2-300 more.

It might be worth talking to evans too, as I thought they had merged schemes with halfords. Halfords bikes at full price are very over priced. They are fine when you take the 20-30% deals offered, but at list they are not good value.
  • The cycle to work scheme is an incentive to get people cycling to work by giving them tax breaks on cycle purchases. Your employer signs up to the scheme, you choose a bike and your employer 'gives' you a voucher for payment of the bike. You then lease the bike back off your employer paying for it in a salary sacrifice which goes out before your tax and N.I if deducted, thus meaning you pay less tax and N.I. The EU has recently ruled that you now have to pay VAT on your salary sacrifice so the savings aren't as big as before.

When you hire lease agreement comes to an end (usually 12 or 18 months) you have the option of either giving the bike back to your employer, continue using it or buying it off your employer for a 'Fair Price'

No problem Mccraque

Ah, I see now. My understanding before had been this was a government run scheme and the vouchers came from the GOV't, but you had to go through work to get them. In that case, it's not that bad at all, so go for it.
  • Taken from my work site, so guessing yours is the same op'

"Choosing your bike
    Every Halfords store offers access to more than 28 brands, including top models from Kona, GT, Carrera, Dahon, Pashley, Voodoo, Cinelli, and Halfords is also the exclusive stockist of former Olympic champion Chris Boardman's signature range. And if you can't find what you want in store, Halfords will try and source the bike you want directly from UK suppliers, subject to availability, although it's best to have a second choice, as some models do sell out. To check the availability of a bike outside of the standard store range, contact the Halfords cycle2work helpline on 08450 778850."

I think the scheme is a great idea, ive just got my boardman mtb pro, so maybe a little biased but didnt see anything as well spec'ed for the money... must say it puts a huge smile on my face everytime.

it was rated best hardtail under £1500 by MBR so cant be bad,

given the choice id rather deposit £1000 at my lbs, rather than a big coporation but cant fault the service.

I reserved the bike in store so it was ready when my letter of collection arrived. called them the night before they built it up ready for the morning. Rode it home couldnt be happier.

add the perk of the 10% accessories voucher so (so £100 for me) got helmet gloves and topeak tool for free. plus 29.99 worth of bike care plan thrown in for free too,. (not sure how good that will turn out but for free cant complain yet)

all this for a repayment of £59.03 per month. :-)

great scheme, not as good as before i agree but still great.

hope this helps good luck choosing your new bike.

hope this helps.