Bars & stem

Marlow
Marlow Posts: 31
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi
I'm swapping my current 640mm bars and 100mm stem for wider (710mm) bars and shorter (70mm) stem this weekend. Can anybody indicate the likely effect this will have on steering/handling please?
Thanks

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The bike should feel more stable pointing down, corner better, but this is all rider dependent.

It takes a bit of getting used to but once you are its great on the downs.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you don't know what it does, why are you swapping?!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Because 'fashion' says that a wider bar and shorter stem are cool right now
  • You will notice things ride different. Depends on what type of riding you want to do as to whether it would be beneficial.
  • Marlow
    Marlow Posts: 31

Good point! Bars & stem that came with the bike are really heavy (and wet black - yuk). My chosen, matching, lightweight new items come with the bars at 710mm (which obviously I can trim down if i wish) and the stem is either 50mm, 60mm 70mm or 130mm. 130mm frankly looks a bit pants so I went for the 70mm.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Marlow wrote:

Good point! Bars & stem that came with the bike are really heavy (and wet black - yuk). My chosen, matching, lightweight new items come with the bars at 710mm (which obviously I can trim down if i wish) and the stem is either 50mm, 60mm 70mm or 130mm. 130mm frankly looks a bit pants so I went for the 70mm.

Thanks for the replies.

130mm would be too long anyways if you ask me. I wouldn't go over 100mm, even for a super XC race oriented bike I find 90mm works well.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What bike is it for?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Marlow wrote:
    Hi
    I'm swapping my current 640mm bars and 100mm stem for wider (710mm) bars and shorter (70mm) stem this weekend. Can anybody indicate the likely effect this will have on steering/handling please?
    Thanks

30mm drop on the stem is quite a lot

the wider bar may well counteract the effect of shortening the stem i.e. wider bars tend to slow down steering, whilst a shorter stem will quicken steering. You may find it becomes harder to corner on steep hills.

the upside is that it will feel more stable going downhill, but you may need to get over the front end more to keep traction on the front tyre. You could counteract by moving the stem further down the stack

you need to be aware that widening the bar will not effect the way the bike handles that much. Yeah it will slow the steering down, but it wont change your weight distribution on the bike, which changing the stem length will, and that can have a drastic effect on the bikes stability

i have been messing with the stem length on my bike for months now. The OEM stem was 90mm and i have tried 70mm and 100mm. The 100mm felt too sluggish and far too over the front, but the 70mm was maybe too short i.e. front end feels a tad skittish, so i have settled on 80mm, but thats on 640mm bars