Rockshox Dart 2 - broken lockout

Forgetful Numptie
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Due to my regular road bike getting nicked last night I'm having to get my old Giant 4.5 back on the road so I don't have to resort to public transport.

The problem with the Giant is that my brother has been using it for the last year and has sorely neglected it.

It has been returned with the following problems:
    Broken lock out on the fork Light rust on the chrome for stanchions LHS crank arm missing (Truvativ 175 powerspline in black) Broken teeth on the rear cassete Rusted chain

He says he only used it to cycle a couple of hundred yards each day around the base he's on but I'm well aware of his lack of mechanical sympathy.

The biggest issue is the fork - does anyone know if it can be easily repaired? Is it even worth repairing given there is light rust on the stanchions which will no doubt tear any seals?

I'll replace my stolen road bike in due course but in the meantime want to get my MTB back on the road as quickly/cheaply as possible.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cam

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    LBS for a arm. chain and cassette.

would not do anything to the fork other than give it a wipe down.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Broken lock out on the fork
    Light rust on the chrome for stanchions (if lockout has gone, they are toast, insurance write off so to speak)
    LHS crank arm missing (Truvativ 175 powerspline in black) (my be able to get one second hand/special somewhere, otherwise min £40 for whole new set)
    Broken teeth on the rear cassete (if you replace chain, then you can do this at the same time, broken teeth are not terminal, but best changed with the chain)
    Rusted chain
  • Nick, Chunkers,

Thank you very much for your replies. Lockout is a must for the commute. Judging by the amount of pogo-ing, I also suspect the fork has lost all damping.

Guess I'll try eBay for a secondhand fork.

Thanks again.

Cam
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    does the preload dial work? if so wind it to its stiffest point.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    does the preload dial work? if so wind it to its stiffest point.

No idea to be honest, something I'll have to check this evening.

Popped into Cycle Surgery last night and they seem fairly confident of repairing the fork for about £50. There are a couple on eBay but these seem to be 80mm of travel and not 100mm.

One other thing, I'm used to road oreinted groupsets so I know that Shimano 105 is the 'workhorse' of the road bikes but I don't know what the equivalent is for mountain bikes (I currently have Shimano Deore mechs which from memory need a bit more maintenance to keep them running sweetly).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TBH I wouldn't spend £50 on a Dart 2.
    Deore is the workhorse, if youwant to call it that, new ones are excellent and need no more maintenance than any other, possibly less.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    TBH I wouldn't spend £50 on a Dart 2.

I'm guessing the Dart 2 is at the very budget end of the suspension spectrum. I'd mainly be using the bike for commuting (on road) and then a bit of trail riding at the weekends so don't think I could justify exotica.
    cooldad wrote:
    Deore is the workhorse, if youwant to call it that, new ones are excellent and need no more maintenance than any other, possibly less.

I like the idea of less maintenance - can you suggest what groupsets are a stepup from Deore?

:)
  • In the current range of XC groups from Shimano.
    Deore
    SLX
    Deore XT
    XTR Race
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Current Deore are very good. Especially if you are on a budget.
    There are lower ones - Alivio, Acera etc. All more than adequate. I have less hassle with 20 odd year old Mountain Exage than I do with new XT.

Matybe go for a rigid fork, cheaper, less hassle and will do perfectly for most of yoyur riding and adequate for light off road.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    I have a Dart 2 someone you can have for a lot less than £50
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For the fork, wind on the preload all the way (short term) long term for commuting get a rigid fork (I run an Onza smart guy, but steel are fine, in fact I have a 26" steel fork with V-bosses (no disc) going begging right now for a lot cheaper than most sus forks and lighter (pm if interested). Its really not worth fixing a Dart.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • For the fork, wind on the preload all the way (short term) long term for commuting get a rigid fork (I run an Onza smart guy, but steel are fine, in fact I have a 26" steel fork with V-bosses (no disc) going begging right now for a lot cheaper than most sus forks and lighter (pm if interested). Its really not worth fixing a Dart.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Not had access to the web for the last few days so only just spotted your post. Thanks for the offer of you spare fork but my bike is running with disc brakes and 1mancity2 has sorted me out with a cheap replacement for my current Dart.

:)
  • 1mancity2
    Have they turned up yet?
  • Hi,

He says he only used it to cycle a couple of hundred yards each day around the base he's on but I'm well aware of his lack of mechanical sympathy.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cam

Don't lend it to your brother!