New bike time, after a road one (my 1st!) - any suggestions?

king_jeffers
king_jeffers Posts: 694
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
I'm currently commuting on a sturdy locked out, slicked up MTB (poor thing!) - Specialized Rockhopper. Unfortunately for the bike and maybe myself its only been off road maybe a dozen times in a year. I love road riding and feel I need something a bit more suited. I'll still use the MTB but mainly for bad weather days. My commute is 7 miles each way, about half a mile (maybe just over) is on a well maintained dirt track which I can avoid - not sure if a road bike would be up for it. I also go out on the weekends, about 15 - 20 miles.

My budget is linked to cycle to work, I didn't want to go over more than £800. I'm looking for something that will last and can get quite a few years of enjoyment.

Currently looking at;
- 2012 Specialized Allez Sport (http://tinyurl.com/cw7qrz6) or the Allez Triple (http://tinyurl.com/bme7ysd) - not sure if the increased component spec on the Sport is worth it?
- Maybe the Cube 2012 Peloton Pro - love the hidden cables/stream lined look but I do like the Specialized...

Open to suggestions/advice, very new to the roadie world :)

Comments

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Cube.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Thanks, was also looking at the Focus range of bikes. So many choices.

On a separate note does it take long to get used to the different riding position from MTB to roadie? Roadie position looks really unnatural.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    The cube is a good level of equipment for the price, the build quality seems as good as my agree and they just look good. I was looking at one in the shop a couple of months ago as someone was buying a peloton though the cycle to work and if I was after an entry level road bike i would go for one.

Focus make good bikes too although I think they just pulled out of sponsering a pro team (Milram?)so there might be some price drops on the way from them?

I can't really comment on the position change as the last time i was on flat bars was when I was 16 (long time ago)
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Torvid wrote:
    The cube is a good level of equipment for the price, the build quality seems as good as my agree and they just look good. I was looking at one in the shop a couple of months ago as someone was buying a peloton though the cycle to work and if I was after an entry level road bike i would go for one.

Focus make good bikes too although I think they just pulled out of sponsering a pro team (Milram?)so there might be some price drops on the way from them?

I can't really comment on the position change as the last time i was on flat bars was when I was 16 (long time ago)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated :D Re: position, no worries. just found another thread in this forum on the exact same thing. Think it will be fine. Can't wait to join the club!
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    If you can get it on Cycle to Work I'd get this without a moment's hesitation, deviation or repetition.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike

Focus are selling off the Carbon Verenti 4 very cheaply too if you want to go Carbon.....
  • Pretty much the same position until recently. Very heavy Carrera Fury MTB which I commuted 100 miles a week on for the pst 18 mths and took the plunch through C2WS Oct, went for the Focus Cayo @ £825.

Not a lot to compare it to as it was always going to be better than the tank. First ever club [training] ride over 40 miles, comfortable at the end and now Im used to it, bloody quick IMO.

Not sure how much I'll use in the winter for commutes and may go back to MTB unless pretty good days weekends, think Im still in the honemoon period. Would reccomend it 100%.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Pretty much the same position until recently. Very heavy Carrera Fury MTB which I commuted 100 miles a week on for the pst 18 mths and took the plunch through C2WS Oct, went for the Focus Cayo @ £825.

Not a lot to compare it to as it was always going to be better than the tank. First ever club [training] ride over 40 miles, comfortable at the end and now Im used to it, bloody quick IMO.

Not sure how much I'll use in the winter for commutes and may go back to MTB unless pretty good days weekends, think Im still in the honemoon period. Would reccomend it 100%.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    This slips under the £1k mark - just

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=68707

I've got a 2010 5000 which I got for roughly the same price and it has been very good and reliable for the 15 months I've owned it, commuting almost daily throughout this time. Bit more than you want to spend I know but great bikes and good vfm :)
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    as a cube owner I'd say Ribble winter/audax bike

ps I love my Cube but hate getting it dirty and mudguards are not going to happen on it ever
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Yeoer
    Yeoer Posts: 45
    On a separate note does it take long to get used to the different riding position from MTB to roadie? Roadie position looks really unnatural.

Nope, it'll feel a bit odd to start and you'll probably have the bars as high as you can to start but it won't take long and it'll feel great... then you'll drop the bars down a bit at a time and wonder why you had them so high!

Short runs on the MTB are fine but over 30 miles and i find it a bit harsh in the saddle... just rode the Exmoor Beast 100 miler on the roadie and felt great after. Roadie over MTB even with Conti Sport Contact 1.3 slicks (which are pretty damn good) will eat it alive! my little 4 mile commute it'll take the best part 4 minutes off!

One thing i have noticed is car drivers don't seem to 'squeeze' past as much when i'm on the roadie especially on the down hill sections where the roadie if you push it can have almost 15 mph over the MTB!
    Nope, it'll feel a bit odd to start and you'll probably have the bars as high as you can to start but it won't take long and it'll feel great... then you'll drop the bars down a bit at a time and wonder why you had them so high!

Short runs on the MTB are fine but over 30 miles and i find it a bit harsh in the saddle... just rode the Exmoor Beast 100 miler on the roadie and felt great after. Roadie over MTB even with Conti Sport Contact 1.3 slicks (which are pretty damn good) will eat it alive! my little 4 mile commute it'll take the best part 4 minutes off!

Will keep in mind the bar height, defo going for a roadie. Don't think I'd fancy 30 miles on the MTB but on a road bike... sounds fun :-D . When I went the slick option on the MTB noticed an massive difference especially on the hills, actually felt like I was pedalling over them rather than going through them. Hoping will notice a whole world of change with a more suitable bike.
    bails1310 wrote:
    Very heavy Carrera Fury MTB which I commuted 100 miles a week on for the pst 18 mths and took the plunch through C2WS Oct, went for the Focus Cayo @ £825

Seems like a good price doing a quick google search, can't seem to find under 1k, limited supplies left on the 2011 models.

Thanks for all the replies so far :-) Still looking at the Cube, maybe the Planet X but not sure on the extra £££
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    If you do not mind halfords i can recommend the boardman range of road bikes, i got a road comp this year and for the money it absoutly flies ! .
    It also has sram apex groupset which gives you a really large range of gears that can get you up any hill and enough top end to get some serious speed !

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_comp.html
    FCN 3/5/9
  • If it was my money, I'd definately go for something you can fit mudguards on :!:

The difference when it's raining is amazing, so bear that in mind with your choice and factor it in to the purchase price, although there not very expensive :)