Sad Dad !

KonaMike
KonaMike Posts: 805
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
On Sunday morning I returned from an early ride to find my daughter (13) and her friends sitting at the bottom of our drive chatting !! As I approached them I said hello .... then caught my front wheel in the drain (been there for 5 years,never done it before) and flopped sideways,still clipped in I wiggled about on the floor like a fish trying to free my feet ,much to the amusement of the kids .
My daughter approached but rather than check I was OK she just said .... 'Well done Dad,its bad enough you wear that stuff every day (lycra) but now I'm even more embarrased.'
Later that night she told me that old people were 'sad ' (Im 36) . :roll:

So thats it then.....In the eyes of the modern teenager I am old and sad at 36 .....better buy a fishing rod I suppose.

Comments

• Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    At least your daughter is still speaking to you :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Oh, that's harsh. My 13 year old son just dispairs of me as a hopeless case at times.
    Mind you when he was 7 my wife was trying to tell him that I was ill and needed to have some nasty medicine for a while to get better. He asked if I was going to die because I was REALLY old.
    Maybe we should take up golf and wearing the tasteful gear that seems to go with that.
  • Sounds like she has you bang to rights, mate.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oh, that's harsh. My 13 year old son just dispairs of me as a hopeless case at times.
    Mind you when he was 7 my wife was trying to tell him that I was ill and needed to have some nasty medicine for a while to get better. He asked if I was going to die because I was REALLY old.
    Maybe we should take up golf and wearing the tasteful gear that seems to go with that.

Pfft, my 2 year old has already learnt to gently hold my head in her hands and with a look of weary pity and a shake of the head, whisper "Silly Daddy". Not much you can come back with from that. I suspect Mrs RJS has been training her.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    More importantly, is the bike OK?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Sounds like she has you bang to rights, mate.

And not only that, you got off lightly I reckon. Try executing a fall like that in front of a group of your mates and see how much sympathy you get!
  • I thought everyone knew... teenagers count the years:

16, 17 , 18, 19, old, dead.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • KonaMike
    I thought everyone knew... teenagers count the years:

16, 17 , 18, 19, old, dead.

Tell me about it !! My other daughter is 17 and the other day told me she was feeling old :roll:

Bike was fine only dent was in my pride :oops:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    My seven year old girl still thinks I'm the coolest Dad in the world - I am so not looking forward to the day that the scales fall from her eyes!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    SimonAH wrote:
    My seven year old girl still thinks I'm the coolest Dad in the world - I am so not looking forward to the day that the scales fall from her eyes!

*watches clock*

KonaMIke, that's gold
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I have a wide range of ages of children and 1 grandaughter (with another on the way) my eldest son thinks I'm pretty cool but then he rides so is mainly in envy of my planet x tt machine. My daughter thinks I'm a bit of a nutter but I know she is proud of me (I just bought them a car so I must be the best Dad/Grandad in the world for a week or two)

My three and half year likes to shout WHEEEEEEELER at me much to his mothers amusement

It would be fair to point out that the eldest two used to find me somthing of an embrassment

The moral of this stroy is Teanagers are just yuk but if you are lucky they can grow out of it

PS falling off your bike der ! :D
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I had a brief respite from being sad dad to being a cool dad when I cleaned the large ladder drop at Chicksands in front of my then 15 year old son and his mates but that quickly reverted to being sad dad again.

Me on the Large Ladder Drop

22-02-2008_07.jpg

Although a trip to the alps to watch and ride 3 mountain stages with my two boys did regain me some points.

My sons enjoying themselves in the alps

Le_tour_017.jpg
    FCN = 4
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My son asked his Grandma if she was from Tudor or Victorian Times because she didn't know what an iPad2 was. A couple of years ago he asked her if everything was grey when she was little!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I was born in black and white 8)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    My daughter (aged 9) still thinks I can do anything. It won't last, we've seen signs of the teenager she may become. She still gets the odd dig in for comedy value, comic timing is spot on and it hurts.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looks like the next thing I need to get measured for will be a wooden box instead of a suit :( I was born in 1971 and my birthday approaches.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • KonaMike
    It gets worse ,my Foam roller arrived in the post this morning (attempt to fix knee niggle).
    My daughter saw me unwrapping it and announced that it was ' The Gayest thing she had ever seen '

Im dropping cool points by the day here !!! :oops:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    @MTB-Idle Cool photos. I couldn't do that drop in my youth, let alone now. Props :wink:
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    redvee wrote:
    Looks like the next thing I need to get measured for will be a wooden box instead of a suit :( I was born in 1971 and my birthday approaches.

WTF!! 1956, can still kick my 28 year old son's *rse on the bike, but that's the only thing! But that's the only thing that counts!! :lol:

Echo Nik Cube, as the kids got older their disdain and embarrassment decreased, now they just laugh!!