Giant XTC Composite - SS 69er

willy b
willy b Posts: 4,125
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
2005 (I think) Giant XTC composite frame. This was given to me last summer by one of my riding mates, who said "hes too old for Hardtails" for free :D

Anyway, built this up as a winter hack bike, and to be honest used it more than my XTC 1! It really is such a great bike. I managed to get all the bits off a chap who was splitting his bike. This is how it started off:
4791763014_faf6b3b30b_z.jpg
09.07.2010 by Will - B, on Flickr

Was a good set up, but a little too relaxed, so I then opted for flat bars and ber end!

Well recently it's not been riden much, and then i started doing some reasearch on 29er's. Was looking to sell this and the XTC 1 to fund them, but in the end I couldn't afford to do this. So started looking at 69ers...
£50 later for a tyre and wheel and we're away!

6346400737_b0c6f38102_z.jpg
13.11.2011 by Will - B, on Flickr

Took it out for a ride around the Peaks, and then aroudn Sherwood Pines. Initially the benefit of teh big wheel can be seen! Rolls very quick now, soaks up small bumps with ease. Especially noticed on fast decents with rocks, where I would have needed to slow down before I could just keen on going! Think I might have produced my next seasons race bike!

Only thing I need to do now is sort the gearing out. 34:16 or 36:16 as 32;16 is too "Spinney"

Anyway, a few more shots:
029.jpg

104.jpg

026.jpg

106.jpg

Comments

• EdW
    EdW Posts: 103
    Nice looking bike, I wish my mates were that generous.

So, I assume a 69er is 26" rear & 29" front wheel. I might have to give that a try on my rigid XC/commuter bike, it will help smooth out the bumps. Is it simply a case of replacing the front wheel or am I missing something? I should have enough clearance in my forks.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Will, that looks excellent mate!
    Might have to give it a try myself actually...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Really loving the look of this!

Are the forks a standard 26'er size?
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Thanks guys.

Correct 26" ear with a 29" front.

Forks are Standard 26" Pace RC31 440mm ( i think) So it was simply just swap the front wheels over and your away!

It's changed the geometery a little, but not enough for it to be an issue. If needs be I can remove a few spacers.

Ed - You should be fine, but i'd measure your forks first just to make sure.