First Post, bit of advice needed........

GT_Dave
GT_Dave Posts: 161
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all, First Post so go easy on me :D

I am a relatively new MB rider and I own a very cheap GT Palomer and I use it mainly for commuting but, it has got me round Hamsterley and Dalby a few times and most recently an orienteering event.

I haven’t modified it in any way and it pretty much suits my needs but I am starting to have a bit of bike envy when I turn up to these places on my budget push iron!

My biggest bug bear is the V brakes, they make it stop but are a pain in the butt to adjust.

Coincidentally I have £290 in Halfords vouchers and I have been looking at a set of Clarks SX Hydraulic Rear Disc Brakes to improve my ride.

What do you think?

If you had £290 to spend at Halfords what would you do to improve my GT? Or should I just keep saving and get a better bike eventually?

I am not in a position to go out and buy a new posh bike so I either have to put up with the one I have and have the satisfaction that it can do what a thousand quid plus machine does or try and improve the thing,

Cheers,

Dave

Comments

• Halfords vouchers are pretty useless unless you want a whole machine.

Is there anyway you're able to cash them in i.e. stand out side and see if someone's going to buy a bike and offer your £290 for say £250?

Reason I say this is you can find a lot better deals and brakes than those clarks on the net.

Can your bike even take Discs? You need disc hubs and mounts at a min really.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I would put the vouchers towards a new bike if possible, my wife has a GT palomer and its not a easy mod adding disc brakes, your frame, forks and wheels need to be capable of running discs so if they can't not worth the expense imo.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • GT_Dave
    I know the frame and forks can have them fitted but not the wheels, this could add up to be a costly job!!!!

I think I will just keep it as it is until something comes along.

Thanks for the advice guys :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Flog the GT for £100 and get one of these.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#dtab

Then save for a while and upgrade the forks, and you'll have a very handy bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    cooldad wrote:
    Flog the GT for £100 and get one of these.
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#dtab

Then save for a while and upgrade the forks, and you'll have a very handy bike.

This is what I would do
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • GT_Dave
    Ive sold the GT, I got £150 for it as its in very good nick!

I have sold a few bits on a well known internet auction site and Im now looking at a Boardman Team 2011 Hardtail, the reviews look good and im not sure that I need a full sus so I think this could be the one for me!

What do you think?

Dave
  • cooldad
    I think you are quite intelligent for taking my advice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Boardman Team, looks good, thats what I'd go for.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you want a half decent full sus you'll need to find a lot more cash. I'd go for the hardtail.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • GT_Dave
    Well ive done it, I pick up my new Boardman HT Team on Wednesday! It has cost me £900 and the price has just gone up to £950 a month before Christmas which seems a bit pants as this time last year it was £850! Its also nearly cost me my marriage but a new pair of shoes and a handbag have squared that problem away :lol:

I have bought a lizard skin chainstay cover and a headset cover and got a set of fancy pedals by subscribing to MBR , im going to stick with the standard white grips until they get too bogging but im not too sure about the tyres, it comes with Continental Mountain King 26 x 2.2 wire bead black tyres which look ok but ive seen that people change them quite quickly, i think they will cope fine with what I do and in fact the bike is probably a bit of overkill looking at my abilities so I will probably stick with them for now.

Im understandably quite excited about the new push iron and other than the blokes in Halfords being a bit ignorant about the Halfords pricing policy all is good!

As a rookie rider any advice will be gratefully received,

Cheers

Dave
  • cooldad
    Only advice I have is go ride it and have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    +1 cooldad
    Start slowly, build your confidence up bit by bit. Trust your bike, relax your arms and look ahead :)
  • sexysi
    sexysi Posts: 50
    GT_Dave wrote:
    As a rookie rider any advice will be gratefully received,
    Join a club and start ridding with them, I am from Kent and just started doing MTB night rides!!! well cool, gets the old heart racing as well.

si
    "Oh, Edmund! Can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hands, a nugget of purest green!"
    Road = 1980 Raleigh Record Sprint
    MTB = 2000 Scott Vail
    Road = 2002 Peugeot c300 comp road race bike
    Road = 2012 Bianchi Impulso
    Car = Saab 93, MGTF
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    This is the first thread ever that CoolDad has been usefull! Well done, i think it needs to be made a sticky! :lol:

Now get out there and ride!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • cooldad
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    This is the first thread ever that CoolDad has been usefull! Well done, i think it needs to be made a sticky! :lol:

Now get out there and ride!
    Obviously you have problems reading. Don't worry, it gets easier. Just try and stop your lips moving.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'd give it a go as it is and see how you get on with the tyres before thinking of changing them. I'm using the tyres that come with the bike (Merida Trail) and I haven't had much problem with them so will keep them until I do.
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    GT_Dave wrote:
    As a rookie rider any advice will be gratefully received

Spend a little time learning how to tune the brakes and gears, ie time when you have the time, not when the bike stops working. Your first post mentioned difficulties tuning v-brakes - these are simple to tune so long as you learn while not stressed and wanting to ride somewhere.