Your issues and ideas using bikes in a city

Rudolf_WU
Rudolf_WU Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
hey,

I am currently working on an innovation research project on how to solve"intermodality" issues by using bikes in combination with other means of transport at the Vienna University of Business and Economics. It addresses the problem of parking bicycles, folding, storing or carrying them to public transport in order to get to your destination.

I think there might be some of you that are dealing with these issues, are thinking about solutions or maybe already found some. We are looking for innovative ideas, new home grown bike adaptions, new types of bikes, that make it easier to use the bike within city.

What could be a good solution? Do you know a person who is very active in that field and maybe has already developed some technical solutions or interesting concepts?

I'm looking forward to your replies.
Thanks and best wishes from Vienna!

Rudolf

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    A roll-on-roll off train carriage for bikes.

The door stretches the length of the carriage on both sides

A ramp extends to the platform

Bikes enter on one side and leave on the other

Each station has access roads for bike use only which guide the riders to the special carriage

The carriage is lined with wheel racks to hold each bike and one seat per bike, non bike passengers may not use these seats or stand in the bike carriage.

The racks are designed to accommodate bikes with with 20-29" wheels

The same approach could be taken with trams or buses

Other than this cities need to be designed with bikes as a primary means of transport with the backing of design rules and planning regulations to make cities accommodate bikes better rather than changing bikes to suit cities. Although the fly-wheel bike is a good idea for the city.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Thanks a lot for the innovative concept, PM'ed. Any others to address this topic? It would help the research! We are also looking for innovators willing to share their ideas, post here or send me a PM, please.

Rudolf
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    In London, it's completely impossible to take bikes on buses, which is fairly understandable I suppose, they take a fair amount of space up inside, however in other cities I have noticed that buses have front and rear racks for bikes, you can simply stick your bike on the rack, get in the bus and then get it back once you have reached your destination. I always thought they were a good idea...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • It'd be nice to have the idea of the dedicated bike car on the underground too. using some kind of a dumb waiter lift you could even get bikes into the deepest underground stations.

Well that is when the system works and the lazy useless inspriations for effective birth control are not on strike!!!

I.e. those of us who use green transport as our main means should have seating priority on other transport like busses and trains.
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Yeah, I understand the London issue.. I studied in Nottingham (UK) and it was the same, I used my bike but when it started to rain and I wanted to get on a bus, there was no option either to leave the bike on a street (and you know how much do thieves like bikes in UK) or continue regardless of the weather...

@Aerozine50: well, even if you get it to underground, what to do with it then? How to get it to overcrowded trains? I agree with priority seats though :)

Come on, there should be some way to link private (bikes or similar modes) to public transport vehicles. Fold it/use designated storage/maybe new mechanisms/or something totally different?
    A new innovative approach is vital, have you thought about any?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Supermarkets often have trolley lockers, you could have something similar for bikes at stations.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Give everyone household in zone 1 a brompton and create Brompton sized storage lockers everywhere and no I don't work for Brompton :lol: