Injury Hell - at a very low ebb

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited April 2012 in Road beginners
I dunno why I am posting on this here - just really fustrated with being off my bike - and the day I can ride my bike pain free - seems further away than ever.

I have had back problems for 20 years (48 NOW) - I cope by taking ibuprofen, ibuprofen gel - or when its gets really bad steriod injections (not regular injections - usually 1 lastS around 2-3 years) - anyway I felt the twinge in April - but rode through the pain - finally in june I just couldn't sit on the saddle - not so much back ,but arse pain.

My gp was reluctant to send for more injections - as she felt stretching and excercise would help enough- with a bit of gentle persausion she agreed. However the the orthapedic surgeon this time started me on a course of proloteraphy injections - and I started on pilates and swimming and daily stretching.

In august I stumbled and went over on my ankle - this seemed to heal up pretty well - but then a few weeks back my knee started to lock - it got so bad I couldn't get up stairs - I went back to my GP - who got me some physio booked.

Today I went to see the surgeon supposedly for another injection. I feared the worst when his opening gambit was something like '20 years of back problems - what do you want to do about it?' - I said something along the lines of all the problems seem down the left back,arse,knee,ankle, - could it be that to much weight is going down one side - and would an MRI be helpful

I was then asked what bit i wanted MRI scanned - when i said 'all of it' - he said that wasn't possible - and it wasn't a simple as requested a scan lumber to foot and then fixing the problems. Eventually he recommended an xray of the pelvis - and an MRI of the knee - suspected mencuis tear. He said no more injections were taking place as things were getting worse not better.

On the one hand good news that I have an MRI on the knee - which is now the most pressing problem - on the other i came feeling thouroughy 'told off' for having an opinion -

I always feel pretty down this time of year - but came home vowing to stick all my cycling gear on ebay - and abstain from any sort excercise what so ever......

......there said it.......thanks for listening !

Comments

• Can I have the wheels.

Oh cheer up kingrollo. Keep in mind the days of pleasure the bike brought you. Just to offer support on two points of your post; yes medical staff can be insensitive bastards, but like us they have bad days too, and on the positive side at least you know how not to treat people. Secondly- any progress is, well, progress and it's rare that progress does not harbour positive results. Keep your chin up and look forward to a pain free bikling time in the spring.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    You have my sympathy; I get a constant lower back problem too. I manage it with the help of my Chiropracter, who tells me it is down to my difference in leg length (about half an inch), which twists my pelvis and impinges the Sciatic Nerve leading to a pain down the back of my left leg.

My spine accommodates this twist by producing an 'S' when viewed from behind, leading to 3 distinct areas of pain. The Chiro sorts me out every few months which keeps things bearable. Maybe worth trying to find a respectable chiropracter in your area.

The surgeon you saw seems a little remiss in not providing you with a diagnosis, then seeking your 'un-professional' opinion on what you would like done and then seemingly belittling your lack of knowledge....! Perhaps a second opinion would be worthwhile? If you know any healthcare professionals ask for a recommendation on who to see; they usually know the good ones in your area. I have a mate who is a GP and another friend who is a surgical nurse, both of whom give good recommendations when I ask....

Anyhow, good luck with it.

PP
  • Prolotherapy? To quote a repsected sports doc and GP
    It is a good way of taking more time off - And does not work
    Seem to remember Owen Hargreaves saying it was the root of many of his many many injury problems.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • kingrollo
    What sort of baffles me is why I switched from steriod injections on avearge once every 3 years - but with 100% sucess rate. to prolotherapy - I was told that my injections in 2007 were prolotherapy - where as I was pretty sure they were steriod.

Scouring the web it would seem prolotherapy is the wonder drug - whilst steriod injections are the son of satan. In my case it seems to be the opposite.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hey up Kingrollo,

Sorry to hear about your woes. I hate being off the bike and am finding the recent lovely crisp/sunny/chilly weather to be about as frustrating as it gets (I cannot ride until mid December and then need another op, which will mean another month of the turbo in the new year, yeegads). There are quite a few folks 'out' at any one time and perhaps getting your head up now and then might help? The phrase "it could be worse" may not offer much comfort (I bloody hate it!) but it usually fits even if one doesn't like it.

Perhaps there should be a virtual BR crocked chaps/chappettes club where we don't go out for club rides but just sit over coffee and cake and moan like old gits. Then again, I have met some CTC clubs just like that :)

I would definitely try another approach to the recovery. Perhaps an osteopath? I have previously found a combination of osteopathy and sport physio to be a good combination, particularly for those complicated issues but have yet to find an instant fix. It can also work out blinking expensive but not as much as a new carbon machine (and I would rather be riding a cheap decent bike than not riding a superbike).

Chin up, bloke. Think of the spring and the lovely rides that await you and keep positive. If not, then you can always join me and the others for an online whinge-fest, so that's a good motivation for recovery if nothing else.
  • Hi kingrollo like you I have had problems with lower back. Initially it was due to exceptionally tight hamstrings. Muscles would go into spasm, the pain was intense and I was taking combination of ibuprufen and paracetemol. This started in may, then in june I fell out of bed (never try a take off from the top of the wardrobe) I landed on the base of my spine.In short more pain and I must have trapped a nerve. In the meantime I have visited Sports Therapist, Osteopath and contacted NHS Physio. All have helped, but I was left with pain in my ankle when I rotated my hip. Speaking to a friend who suffers from sciatica she said she stands on a step and flips her foot. This has helped immensely and can walk without a limp. An end is in sight - for the first time this year I was able to do a 45 minute gym session and get a 25 mile ride on the bike. At my lowest I was thinking I would have to sell up my bikes. So hang in there, give it time and I feel sure it will get better.
  • kingrollo
    thanks all. feel a bit better today.

Its only cycling at the end of today. Before yesterday I would have undergone any sugery, with any amount of rehab to get me back on my bike. Today I feel the total opposite - I will only undergo any more injections \ surgery if I get a clear diagnosis and predicted outcome - and If I am basically ok but can't cycle - then so be it.

I love cycling, and its very important to me - but there are other things ....thanks again for all the encouragement
  • kingrollo
    I am finally 'back on the bike' - in a limited sense anyway.

After numerous bike fits, saddles, chiros, pilates not quite what worked - or maybe I have just downgraded my ambitions.

With 2 pairs of shorts, a selle SMP , a knee support - I did 15 miles including hills - it wasn't totally pain free - and I felt so unfit - my perspective on cycling has totally changed - I was plodding along at 12 mph - just glad to be out there - whizzing down the hills at 35mph brough the buzz back.

At the moment I don't feel inclined to put the hours oe effort in to get back to where I was - if someone whizzes past me - i just let it go - not convinced the back\arse\knee is up to many miles - but at least I am out there again
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'd recommend looking into a deep tissue manipulation method called Rolfing http://www.rolfinguk.co.uk/. Not a cure for everyone and everything but there's a very good chance you will at least see an improvement. I had it done about 25yrs ago and now at 53 I still have not have not had any permanent problems with my back. Also know a few others including my 75yr old, very skeptical uncle who have done it and all had very good results for back pain and other body pains. I learned about it through a friend who was planning on going through the treatment. It sounded like quackery to me at first until I saw her again after she had finished and her whole posture had changed from having a mild slump and slight favoring one side when walking to having an absolute perfect posture.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    kingrollo wrote:
    I am finally 'back on the bike' - in a limited sense anyway.

After numerous bike fits, saddles, chiros, pilates not quite what worked - or maybe I have just downgraded my ambitions.

With 2 pairs of shorts, a selle SMP , a knee support - I did 15 miles including hills - it wasn't totally pain free - and I felt so unfit - my perspective on cycling has totally changed - I was plodding along at 12 mph - just glad to be out there - whizzing down the hills at 35mph brough the buzz back.

At the moment I don't feel inclined to put the hours oe effort in to get back to where I was - if someone whizzes past me - i just let it go - not convinced the back\ars*\knee is up to many miles - but at least I am out there again

s'life boy. I tried reliving my glory days by going back to drop bars and skinny wheels last year, a decade after seriously and chronically hurting my neck, The experiment ultimately failed, I'm still in quite a bit of pain now and am back as a somewhat reluctant but happy to be out there slow cyclist with straight bars. Part of my current spinal problem is that I'm still waiting on my knee op to fix a torn cartilage then I can walk & pronate properly and start working to bring my neck and back under control again.

I've been warned off steroid injections, They were suggested as part of the therapy for my knee before deciding I'd torn it up but I was told they are only good for 15 odd goes before the affected area is pretty much done in by the steroids and needs replacing or falls to bits.