Fox 36 2011 - Bolt through axle stuck

j4mesj4mes
j4mesj4mes Posts: 138
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Good afternoon,

Just tried to remove my front wheel, undid the two clamps on the front of my 2011 36 fox forks and began to unscrew the bolt through axle.

The axle unscrews a few mm but then makes a slight clicking noise. Not sure how far the bolt should unscrew before it pulls out, but it wont pull out from where it is now.

I have given it a reasonable amount of force but dont want to damage it if the threads if it is not unscrewed fully.

Any ideas?

Thank you

James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hammer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • If that was a serious reply, is there not a danger of ripping the threads out?
  • cooldad
    Sorry was thinking of a maxle, which also get stuck. But if it is unscrewed a bit of light tapping shouldn't do any harm and might loosen it up.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • When I unscrew it it seems to be pushing the fork leg away from it, so im guessing its stuck in the hub of the wheel? I have tried wd40ing and light hammer. but obv dont want to pull the threads out of its not fully screwed out of the fork leg. Any ideas?
  • cooldad
    Wrap a belt or something around the fork legs so they don't move apart and try unscrewing it again.af
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Will that not just add pressure onto the threads and cause it to be forcefed them?

Thank you
  • cooldad
    forcefed?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Making the forks stay together and then unscrewing will make the bolt push against the threads and churn them out?
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Catch the wheel near the fork legs and move it side to side while trying to undo the bolt. I find that it helps with mine 15mm thru axle fox.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • GJC
    GJC Posts: 198
    Hi i had this problem with my fox 36 2011, i tap the axle out with a rubber mallett and handle head of srewdriver, the local LBS said that the axle can become dry i lightly grease it everynow and again. no problem since

GJC
    Lapierre Spicy 316 2011
  • After a night coated in wd40 and then hammering with a mallet and the round end of a spanner, its still stuck. Not sure how much harder I dare hit it, I gave it some big whacks.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Are you soaking the hub the best you can, as i'm guessing if its unscrewing, its obviously free in both legs of the fork and stuck in the hub?

edit to say you've already worked that out :oops: more wd40 and more hammer. How about trying hammer instead of a mallett, thought being sharp tap as opposed to heavy but dull blow.
  • Everything has had as much wd40 as I could possibly give it. Three people later with different hammering techniques its still stuck.

Pretty sure it is the hub.
    Not sure if a hammer is moving into breaking things territory.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The first rule of hammers - if in doubt hit it harder!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Spoke to a LBS and they suggested soaking overnight in Fenwicks pro lube whilst leaning and further hammering. Fingers crossed!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Least it wont come out unexpectedly on a jump :lol: sorry :)
  • Just an update in case anyone else encounters this problem.
    Soaked the axle in Fenwicks pro lube on both sides while leaning it horizontally overnight.
    Undid the pinch bolts.
    Unscrewed just before it unclicked back onto the threads.
    Using a screwdriver handle as something to hit (with the blade going through the empty axle), I hit it with reasonable force a few times and it popped out.
    I cleaned the axle and using an emery cloth to smooth out the inconsistencies on the axle and hub.
    Added grease to the axle and put it back together.
    Seems to have done the trick nicely!