Bike Radar Toddlebike Trial Results - Isabel 18 Months

Jo Hockley
Jo Hockley Posts: 66
edited November 2011 in Family & kids cycling forum
Isabel is now 18 months old, very active, goes to nursery every day and is very good at taking the time to master new toys. Her favourite toys are the plastic hoover, trampoline, and the mini baby pram, as well as the toddlebike now!

The toddlebike arrived extremely quickly indeed – packing was perfect, spot on in all respects there.

First impressions were good, and Isabel took to it very quickly (albeit she preferred carrying it to riding it at first). It actually looks slightly unstable just given how close the wheels are together laterally, but in actual fact it works fine.

I think £25 is about right for this sort of toy. Alternatively a £30 price tag with a discount might also work.

I have seen some other ladybug type mini bikes, but these are trikes with 2 wheels at the back, are very much wider, and therefore are not nearly as portable as the toddlebike.

Isabel needed to be shown how to ride it at first (bearing in mind she was only 17 months old when we got it) but she took to it quickly. We have a very big kitchen so she’s fine with it indoors. She’s only taken it out on the street a few times so far as she’s a bit small.

My one major suggestion is the seat, which is in a fixed position and therefore keeps the age/size range potentially quite narrow. Isabel is, for the time being, riding on the bar in front of the seat as she can’t quite stretch to the handlebars. If there was a simple way to slide the seat forward and backwards, this would increase the age range the bike is suitable for significantly.

She’s developing very quickly – I have noticed she’s much better at climbing over things and using a hand to balance, exactly as she does on the toddlebike.

The toddlebike is used every single day in our kitchen, and at her grandparents (who live in a large flat) but not yet outdoors too much.

I think it’s an excellent product, all things considered. Any adjustability fore and aft on the seat would be a major plus in my view.

Isabel and Andrew

6343762095_77885f0696_s.jpg
ISABEL by Toddlebike, on Flickr

The Bike Radar Toddlebike Trial is a project currently running involving 45 Bike Radar Forum members who, with the help of their 18-24 month old Toddler, have been asked to test a Toddlebike for a month over a range of terrains indoor and out and then share their unedited findings on the original Forum. For more photos and reviews check out http://www.facebook.com/toddlebikereview.
Jo Hockley
Toddlebike

johockley@toddlebike.co.uk
01273 453940
www.toddlebike.co.uk