Scalextric velodrome

secretdancer
secretdancer Posts: 31
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
So my 8 yr old boy wants this for Christmas:

51Kbd0ORf0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

He likes cycling, expresses an interest when it's on telly and loves to be on his bike.

The cyclist part of me wants to get it, it's a cycling related toy, that's good right?
The dad part of me wants to fulfill my son's Christmas wishes and also because I want to play scalextric again.
But, the grownup part of me thinks it's a cheap plastic waste of money with a very limited lifespan and that I should buy a decent scalextric instead.

Comments

• It is made by Scalextric and therefore should be the same quality as the normal ones with the cars.

And, I guess (though you'd have to check) that cars would work on this circuit too, so the Xmas present could end up having a longer life as one of those US car racing circuits (Indy?).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But, the grownup part of me thinks it's a cheap plastic waste of money with a very limited lifespan and that I should buy a decent scalextric instead.
    This.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    On the advert I saw it looked about the size of a dinner plate. I'd go with proper Scalextric, or something good.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • If it's anything like scalextric cars then the cyclist on the inside line will have less distance to travel than the one on the outside and so will nearly always win. That's why so many scalectric tracks are in figures of 8. This isn't an issue on the Digital sets of course cause you can flip from lane 2 lane.
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed
  • Cheers folks, we'll have to see what Santa decides to do closer to the time and perhaps pass the buck to the Mrs.
    Am edging towards a better pressie but we'll see.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If it's anything like scalextric cars then the cyclist on the inside line will have less distance to travel than the one on the outside and so will nearly always win. That's why so many scalectric tracks are in figures of 8. This isn't an issue on the Digital sets of course cause you can flip from lane 2 lane.

Figure of 8 velodrome - now thats an idea to draw the crowds to track cycling. I would add an edge to the team pursuit as one team gets half a lap ahead....

The madison would be even more chaos than normal.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Anyone know Seb Coe's e-mail address. London 2012 could be the showcase event :)
    There's warp speed - then there's Storck Speed