New wheels needed, advice wanted!

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
As a) Christmas and my birthday are approaching and b) my current set of wheels (Mavic Aksiums) are just about worn out I'm now looking for a new set.

I weigh a JonGinge-esque 65Kg and the bike is predominantly going to be used for commuting in London so will take the occasional whack if I can't avoid a pothole at high speed without going under the wheels of the vehicle next to me!

I did rather like the Aksiums, they served me well for 2 years but a couple of big hits on the rear and 2 attempts at truing them (at LBS's) have left 2 spokes shagged as the threads have been buggered (as such the wheel as a nice wobble and rattles quite a lot....) and the wear indicator is showing they need replacing ASAP :-)

Having a quick look around on a certain popular online bike retailer which I can get a platinum discount at, they have a set of Campag Khamsin's for £125 which look rather appealing, both for price and looks! They have "proper" spokes rather then the PITA bladed ones on the Aksiums which I'm hoping will make maintaining/repairing a bit easier.

I don't want to go crazy expensive, so cheaper the better ideally within reason but I don't mind splashing a bit more if I'm going to get reliability and or strength.

So any suggestions?
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    HAND BUILT - HAND BUILT - HAND BUILT!!!
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    You could get open pro on tiagra hubs for about £160 or Rigida Chrina for just over £100.

Chrinas are a bit heavier though so at your weight probably a bit ott. Open sports might be worth a look, not used them though.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    prawny wrote:

Yep . . .

they may seem more expensive but I've been running mine on my fixed for three years, they must have done 10,000 miles and they are still dead true and haven't needed any maint at all . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    prawny wrote:

Yep . . .

they may seem more expensive but I've been running mine on my fixed for three years, they must have done 10,000 miles and they are still dead true and haven't needed any maint at all . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Cheers, I was considering the HB option :-) May mean I'll have to drag myself down to GB Cycles and have a nice chat with the guys in there....I've heard good things about the Open Pro rims? Mind you I'm guessing the shop would be best to advise on a suitable hub/wheel combo...
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Greg T wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Yep . . .

And if something does go wrong, they can be easily mended. On the weekend bike I've had about 5 years from a pair of Open Pros laced to Ultegra hubs with DT Swiss spokes. Still running smooth and true.

SS has a set of Ambrosio deep section factory wheels - considering changing them and if I do it will certainly be for HBs (Open Pros again with, if I can scrape together the money, Royce hubs).
  • prawny
    I was really happy with my tiagra hubs, didn't need any attention at all in over a year of daily use. Not as light as the fancier ones but if price is an issue the tiagra hubs are great. Save money there and get some lighter rims innit.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    If you go factory then merlin tend to have some decent deals on:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s/list.htm
    Also planet-x have a model-b discount on at the moment:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... b_wheelset
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    If you go factory then merlin tend to have some decent deals on:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s/list.htm
    Also planet-x have a model-b discount on at the moment:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... b_wheelset

I know Merlin, that's where I picked up the Aksium's originally :-) Have mailed GB Cycles to see what they recommend. Have a few more LBS's I can try....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Good spokes make good wheels, a decent wheelbuilder will tell you the brand of spokes he uses (DT Swiss or Sapim are top-class, ACI are supposedly OK but cheaper), ensure that you get double-butted spokes, they are lighter and stronger than the non-butted. Some places use plain gauge spokes on the drive-side rear, that's fine too.
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Not sure whether I'll be able to get them this Christmas or not, but I think these look pretty good for the price. Aero bladed spokes, though.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Another vote for handbuilts.

My first set built on lightweight rims (IRD VSR) lasted about 8,000 miles before needing trueing and the only reason trueing was needed was because the rims were starting to give way from the abuse they get from my 100kg and complete inability to avoid potholes. Derek at wheelsmith rebuilt the wheels using the same hubs and spokes on excelilight rims and 400 miles in they are perfectly true just a slightly more robust rim. they are now my winter training wheels.

My commuter runs Harry Rowland open pros on 105 hubs. not as light as the other set of wheels but very true after 700 miles and not a lot of pound notes...

I think you might have a slightly higher initial outlay on handbuilts - the benefits for me are reliability and the fact that you can replace each component when it fails rather than the whole wheelset, seems to be a better long term budget choice.
  • fidbod wrote:
    I think you might have a slightly higher initial outlay on handbuilts - the benefits for me are reliability and the fact that you can replace each component when it fails rather than the whole wheelset, seems to be a better long term budget choice.

I'll be sure to mention the "cheaper running costs long-term" when I pitch this to the CFO later :-) Looks like I really do need to visit my LBS! Ho-hum.....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    +1 Planet X Model B's. Great wheel and a nice profile too.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Another vote for Harry Rowland here. See blog for details of my wheels, but basically he's a very nice guy who builds beautiful wheels. Give him a ring and tell him what you need, and he'll give you some options. Beware - you'll be on the phone for half an hour - Harry loves talking about wheels :D
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Another vote for Harry Rowland here. See blog for details of my wheels, but basically he's a very nice guy who builds beautiful wheels. Give him a ring and tell him what you need, and he'll give you some options. Beware - you'll be on the phone for half an hour - Harry loves talking about wheels :D

I've just read through your blog - nice work! The Orbit has come up a treat and looks really smart. Can I ask how much the wheels cost, and what the bill was at Bob Jackson?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    just seen in the classifieds here some guy selling some RS10s brand new for £70. im considering snapping them up but its the wrong time of the month (ie no money already).

Thats where id be going.
  • My LBS has built all of my current wheels. Not the cheapest, but worth it in the longrun.

The owner has a local rep for building the best wheels. All of the club riders locally and even the team riders from the big shop round the corner get him to build their wheels.

Must be embarrasing for the big shop.
    It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    symo wrote:
    +1 Planet X Model B's. Great wheel and a nice profile too.
    i used to recommend them, but my freehub has fallen apart (wheels were probably only used for 2years and even then not very heavily) and its going to cost £40 to get a new one. £40 for a freehub on a £120 wheelset.

as with all planet x stuff its cheap and rubbish and their customer support is terrible.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Think about building your own; it's not that hard, and with a bit of improvisation you don't need a proper truing stand to do a good job. Next time you wear out a pair of rims, you can just replace them for a couple of hours' labour and the cost of the rims.

I just picked up some Ambrosio Excellight rims for £40 at Planet-X (who also have offers on a bunch of cheaper rims), CRC seem to have very good prices for DT Swiss spokes, and plenty of competitively-priced hubs if you shop around.
    Pannier, 120rpm.