Ergon Grips for trail riding

ScottLangham
ScottLangham Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I sometimes get aches in my wrists when mountain biking. So, I was interested by the Ergon winged grips. In reviews they sound good, but they're usually mentioned for road riding. I wondered, has anybody tried Ergons grips offroad? If so, what model, and how did you get on with them?

Roll-on,
-Scott

Comments

• I've got the GR2 Carbon grips and they're ace. However, they're only ace for long distances IMO, like a marathon or a long day in the saddle up in the hills. For technical riding, like a trail centre, I think 'normal' grips are better - more control.
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I have the GX2s. The disadvantages are (1) you can catch them on the foliage when the singletrack is very tight, and (2) on steep descents they inhibit wrist rotation. For general XC riding they are very good if you want a choice of hand positions, and the stubby bar-ends are great for climbing.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got some when I initially was getting hand aches and numbness. Anything bumpy or steep and couldn't adjust my wrists and more dangerously the flat surface tended to make the hands slip forwards off the bars on technical descents.

Got rid of them for my safety. Standard Superstar grips replaced them and adjusted the angle of the levers, plus changed it round for single finger braking. Angle suited to more technical riding. Now no hand aches or pains, and loads more control.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Specialized do a body geometry grip which is similar but lower profile than the ergos and therefore retains more offroad control. Works for me anyway.
  • I use the GX2s and they are excellent. Get the smaller size unless you have really large hands. They do feel a bit strange on steep descents initially, but you will get used to it.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I find bar ends quite useful, gives your hands an alternative location, something to pull your weight forward on steep climbs and on long distances you can alleviate back pain by modifying your grip.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I am using the GX1 right now. I'm really happy with them. It takes a while to fine tune the optimum angle but once you do they are fab. If you have them set too flat you lose a bit of control but now it's ok. It's worth it especially if you're doing longer rides. However, if you want an ergon grip that's better for more technical riding try the GA1 or GE1. They're very nice, giving support and more control.
    Many happy trails!
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've got the GP1 grips, but the smaller (womans) size after reading the recommendations on the net for going for the smaller size. I'll never go back to standard grips again.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • All I can say is I have the cork ones in large, take a XL size in gloves. No matter what bike I own they will be on it. I have carpell tunnell syndrome and Zero experience with these grips. You can jump to as the way the grip is designed will not alter this, fantastic !
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • RTW
    RTW Posts: 23
    This old chestnut!

Ergon grips were designed for trail riding. Actually, they were designed the trans-alp challenge.

We have a few ranges now, these are:

GP1, GP2, GP3, GP4, GP5 which were the
    GP1, GC2, GR2, GR3, GC3

These are sold now as 'commuting, trekking' products, but were designed with MTBing in mind. Generally speaking if you wear gloves go for size S on these.

GX1, GX2, GX3
    These are our XC grip (used to win two world Championships) so no, technical descents aren't really a problem (at least not for World Cup riders).

GS1, GS2, GS3

These are our marathon grips (used to win one world Championships) so no, technical descents aren't really a problem (at least not for World Cup riders) for these either.

My recommendation is for GS series, unless you are on a LONG travel bike (130mm) then go for something like the GA series (a non wing grip).
    d3matt wrote:
    I've got the GP1 grips, but the smaller (womans) size after reading the recommendations on the net for going for the smaller size. I'll never go back to standard grips again.

There are no 'womans' sizes - just small and large. Older product was called womens / mens (about 5 years ago) until we realised the error of our ways.
    deadkenny wrote:
    Got some when I initially was getting hand aches and numbness. Anything bumpy or steep and couldn't adjust my wrists and more dangerously the flat surface tended to make the hands slip forwards off the bars on technical descents.

Got rid of them for my safety. Standard Superstar grips replaced them and adjusted the angle of the levers, plus changed it round for single finger braking. Angle suited to more technical riding. Now no hand aches or pains, and loads more control.

Oi! Our products are safe! ;-) Some find however that they do not feel comfortable with a wing grip, but in my experience about 80 - 90% of people do not have this issue. They have never hampered my control of my bike, and 100,000s of people agree. Sorry to hear you didn't get on with them.
    Bartimaeus wrote:
    I have the GX2s. The disadvantages are (1) you can catch them on the foliage when the singletrack is very tight, and (2) on steep descents they inhibit wrist rotation. For general XC riding they are very good if you want a choice of hand positions, and the stubby bar-ends are great for climbing.

1. This is a bar end thing, rather than an Ergon specific thing.
    2. This requires slight getting used to.

I hope this helps. I don't want to argue, or annoy anyone.

Rich @ Ergon.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RTW wrote:
    Oi! Our products are safe! ;-) Some find however that they do not feel comfortable with a wing grip, but in my experience about 80 - 90% of people do not have this issue. They have never hampered my control of my bike, and 100,000s of people agree. Sorry to hear you didn't get on with them.
    It was more down to what I was riding really as I shifted towards DHillish and more technical kind of stuff and kept slipping off them. They were comfortable though for general trail riding. Still got them and if I was going to do XC or commute kind of rides a lot I'd probably stick them back on. But yeah, it's personal taste.
  • Wow. Thanks for all the replies and advice!

@RTW. Do you work for Ergon? What are you saying about size - if I wear gloves, get the small - is that true even if I wear large gloves?

Cheers,
    -Scott
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have the large GR2 Magnesium and it is perfect size for me - with or without gloves.

Really gutted that you stopped doing the magnesium and replaced it with GRP though...
  • RTW
    RTW Posts: 23
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies and advice!

@RTW. Do you work for Ergon? What are you saying about size - if I wear gloves, get the small - is that true even if I wear large gloves?

Cheers,
    -Scott

Hi Scott, yes, worked for Ergon for nearly six years.

Size is personal preference. I actually use both sizes. Rigid fork, size L, suspension fork, size S, full suspension GS1 S. I wear size L gloves too. I suggest popping to your local shop and seeing what they have on display to compare S & L. If they don't have both versions in, please tell them you were wanting to compare and were after Ergon grips - it will encourage them to stock more!
    apreading wrote:
    I have the large GR2 Magnesium and it is perfect size for me - with or without gloves.

Really gutted that you stopped doing the magnesium and replaced it with GRP though...

I think the GRP is loads better - lighter, no corrosion problems, anti-slip grips on the bar end, and not cold in the winter. The magnesium is still in stock around the internet though.