What a difference an extra spring makes...

mac_man
mac_man Posts: 918
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Having one at each of the bike that is :-)

Had my first taste of a 'proper' full suspension bike today and what a revelation! Bike in question is probably rarer than rocking hores poo round here... an Orbea Rallon. Seemed like a really nice piece of kit. 150mm Fox 32 float and RP32 shock, Formula RX brakes and (WTF?) an Alivio front mech!!!

Lookswise it's certainly distinctive... but I liked it.

After riding a Rockhopper for the last year, this beast was an altogether different prospect. Even though it's a few pounds heavier than the 'Hopper it never felt a chore up my local hills. Then... GOING DOWN!!! Excellent. Can't belive just how much faster I could go. Now I realise just what I've been missing all this time :lol: !

The FS camp now has a new convert! I just need to try a few more before I make my mind up.
Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Indeed, try as many as you can, because shite suspension is worse than none at all.
  • They put the Alivio front mech on because it is a front mech, all of them work to same level of quality, only difference being price, weight and looks in some cases.

Never seen one of those bikes, but a quick google search turned up some tasty kit!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You could always do a frame transplant on your 'hopper. Stumpjumper FSR 120 frame will go nicely, you'll need a new front mech (top swing) and eventually some longer forks (maybe cables/hoses). Everything else will transplant nicely.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    diy wrote:
    You could always do a frame transplant on your 'hopper. Stumpjumper FSR 120 frame will go nicely, you'll need a new front mech (top swing) and eventually some longer forks (maybe cables/hoses). Everything else will transplant nicely.

Now THAT is an idea! I've upgraded the Hopper bike with Rebas on the front (which could be extended to 120mm) and a set of Hope Pro 2s.

Some Formula RX would be nice. Braking power is streets ahead of what I currently use. Time to check Ebay then ;-)
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    In which case you want a 2007. There were a few carbon S-works frames going <£600 recently. You could go newer, but you really need 140mm with the newer frames.

If you end up with a comp frame you can swap the rear for an RP23 which is better than the top end Spesh rear shock.